Planning out larger tank, looking for lighting opinions.

corosato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to plan out a future tank upgrade, going to likely move to an 48 inch long 80 gallon shallow reef, about the largest tank I can feasibly have in my house. I'm trying to plan out budget and I was thinking of using AI Blades, would the 39" with the elevated arms be the way to go? Was thinking starting with 2 grows and adding a glow a bit down the line. Or would it just make more sense to go with 3 Primes? (About 16 and a smudge inches deep tank). I like the light spread better on a blade but not sure if it makes sense over the primes. This would be moving the corals over from my E170, mostly LPS with a couple basic SPS (Birdsnest/Stylo/Encrusters). Just looking for feedback as I plan.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a "bar" like a blade, why wouldn't you use the 4 foot version? 48" blades are 100 watts, so 2 of those sounds like a reasonable starting point to me.

Are you set on AI?

OP
OP
corosato

corosato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to rest them directly on the tank, a little elevated was the hope. I am not set on AI I just was thinking that with the depth being only 16 inches these would be reasonable choices but I am definitely open to suggestions. :)

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders have done me well. AI primes that I have all have melted the UV lenses. Also I am a fan of Ilumagic and my new tank are Sky. You can find some good deals on R2R market.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of the Meridian prices and paywall stuff from ReefBreeders. Absolutely love the Photon V2's though.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If price isn't much of a concern, some kessils with the blades would look very nice. I think shallow tanks benefit visually from shimmer.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 10.0%
Back