Please help. About to give up.

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have been battling issues in my reef tank for forever now. algae, and too low or too high nitrates. Currently I walked into my tank and my black clownfish is showing major signs of aggression towards everybody especially the male occelaris. On top of that it bothered my basslet she has now disappeared from her sleeping spot at least for now. My other orange clownfish is gasping for air. My starry blenny who is usually black during the day is currently white and purple with its spots on the sand. My coral beauty seems to be doing fine but it as well is sitting on the sand most likely sleeping I hope. But my biggest fear currently are some white foamy bubbles at the top of my tank. These have sort of appeared. I do RX reef flux for briopis and hair algae as my battle continues with them. Is this a sign of something serious having to do with the air or a possible overdose of the flux? I am about to give this hobby up as I've never actually gotten to enjoy it. Its always been spend more money and stop the algae! I've only had it good once back about 2 months ago when I could pick the algae out and not have a single worry about the fish. What should I do?
@vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,
I have been battling issues in my reef tank for forever now. algae, and too low or too high nitrates. Currently I walked into my tank and my black clownfish is showing major signs of aggression towards everybody especially the male occelaris. On top of that it bothered my basslet she has now disappeared from her sleeping spot at least for now. My other orange clownfish is gasping for air. My starry blenny who is usually black during the day is currently white and purple with its spots on the sand. My coral beauty seems to be doing fine but it as well is sitting on the sand most likely sleeping I hope. But my biggest fear currently are some white foamy bubbles at the top of my tank. These have sort of appeared. I do RX reef flux for briopis and hair algae as my battle continues with them. Is this a sign of something serious having to do with the air or a possible overdose of the flux? I am about to give this hobby up as I've never actually gotten to enjoy it. Its always been spend more money and stop the algae! I've only had it good once back about 2 months ago when I could pick the algae out and not have a single worry about the fish. What should I do?
@vetteguy53081
Ive heard of reef flux having effect with certain livestock and causing water quality issue. Fluconazole is an alternative and not a solution in many cases. Sounds like possible low dissolved oxygen and other water quality issue but need to see a video under white light intensity for best assessment

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard of reef flux having effect with certain livestock and causing water quality issue. Fluconazole is an alternative and not a solution in many cases. Sounds like possible low dissolved oxygen and other water quality issue but need to see a video under white light intensity for best assessment
All other fish seem to be fine except for the occelaris. What do I do if that is the case? Filter is about at half power currently.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
All other fish seem to be fine except for the occelaris. What do I do if that is the case? Filter is about at half power currently.
That reason for video. Would like to see the fish, the tank and filter

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reason for video. Would like to see the fish, the tank and filter
Will need a minute. Tank is currently having certain algae growth on the glass as well. White light will be disgusting to look at but I guess you are the docter.

ruudy1761

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert but in my experience adding stuff to your tank without needing to just because its the done thing because so called people selling you this stuff know your tank won't flourish without it why not try just letting your tank level itself out without adding anything to it and doing regular small water changes instead

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algaecides should be banned. 90% of the time they cause problems. Usually at the expense of new reefers. Sorry you are dealing with this issue. Too late now, but fixes in bottles are usually not the answer. Get the flow up in your tank and add some carbon. Do some water changes. Throw that product in the garbage. Learn to embrace the algae and stop fiddling with chemistry. Give it time and coralline will out compete most of the green stuff. A little algae is part of a healthy ecosystem.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used Reef flux, I only used 1/2 dose. I pulled as much of the algae manually prior to dosing because algae dying is going to pollute the tank. I also tested for Ammonia/Nitrates and Phosphates on a daily basis, and had GFO running to absorb some of the nutrients released back by the dying algae. I also turned on the skimmer after 2-3 days from dosing and changed out the filter floss often to remove any dying algae. During treatment, I also removed the algae by hand as well because it was much easier after the algae turned white.

At your current situation, I would increase flow in the tank by turning up the powerheads and point a few powerheads to break surface tension, turn up the skimmer, and test for ammonia/nitrates/phosphates..and add GFO if phosphates are high. You may be lacking oxygen by how your fishes are reacting or your ammonia might have spiked due to things dying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used Reef flux, I only used 1/2 dose. I pulled as much of the algae manually prior to dosing because algae dying is going to pollute the tank. I also tested for Nitrates and Phosphates on a daily basis, and had GFO running to absorb some of the nutrients released back by the dying algae. I also turned on the skimmer after 2-3 days from dosing and changed out the filter floss often to remove any dying algae. During treatment, I also removed the algae by hand as well because it was much easier after the algae turned white.
Yea I’ve dosed it before too. This is why it’s different.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a beautiful mixed reef that I neglected for 2 years and ended up with a disgusting mess of algae and death. I finally decided to turn things around and get my tank back this year. In February I started off with manual siphoning, improved flow and a mission of stability. My PO4 is still very high (0.5-1.0), but that’s a can of worms I don’t want to get into here. Anyways this is what 5 months of stability, a renewed clean up crew, and no non-essential chemicals can do for a tank. I still have a way to go, but slow and steady wins the race. There is hope for you yet!

January 2024
IMG_3293.jpeg

Today:
IMG_4256.jpeg

What I once had, 2021, working my way back…
20190812_204251.jpeg

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I once had it like this uo until April. Not big corals but just clean. If I follow your method I could possibly get it back. But the main issue is. I’m 14 can’t drive csnt go anywhere to get anything for the tank. I am planning on going to get 20 gallons of saltwater and doing a 10 gallon change for around a month.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I once had it like this uo until April. Not big corals but just clean. If I follow your method I could possibly get it back. But the main issue is. I’m 14 can’t drive csnt go anywhere to get anything for the tank. I am planning on going to get 20 gallons of saltwater and doing a 10 gallon change for around a month.
I can see how that would complicate things. If you get an allowance or have a summer job, I suggest saving up for an RODI system so you can make your own water. You could even try to “market” it to your parents and see if they would be interested in getting one for a purified drinking water tap in your house :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see how that would complicate things. If you get an allowance or have a summer job, I suggest saving up for an RODI system so you can make your own water. You could even try to “market” it to your parents and see if they would be interested in getting one for a purified drinking water tap in your house :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I’ve got a 85 dollar one been making water for a while and using it. I have a chemiblue sock should I put that into my filter?

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 85 dollar one been making water for a while and using it. I have a chemiblue sock should I put that into my filter?
Why do you need to go buy saltwater for a water change? If you have an RODI system, you should be making your own! Its not just for top-off…. Yes chemiblue carbon is great stuff and will help remove the algaecide that seems to be causing issues for you.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you need to go buy saltwater for a water change? If you have an RODI system, you should be making your own! Its not just for top-off…. Yes chemiblue carbon is great stuff and will help remove the algaecide that seems to be causing issues for you.
Do you think anything will die?

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back