Please help sick emperor Angel

kbarr31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this velvet or some other type of issue. Fin on one side looks pretty much gone he’s eating and acting about 80% normal with random lethargy laying on the rocks. What treatment is reef safe. His fins look strange and his skin on the side where the fin is gone

IMG_8335.jpeg IMG_8336.jpeg IMG_8333.jpeg IMG_8332.jpeg IMG_8334.jpeg IMG_8337.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Is this velvet or some other type of issue. Fin on one side looks pretty much gone he’s eating and acting about 80% normal with random lethargy laying on the rocks. What treatment is reef safe. His fins look strange and his skin on the side where the fin is gone

IMG_8335.jpeg IMG_8336.jpeg IMG_8333.jpeg IMG_8332.jpeg IMG_8334.jpeg IMG_8337.jpeg
This appears to be a fin ray issue and often clears on its own however you can safely add Ruby Rally pro to the display to help it clear. Often providing pristine water quality and good diet will help it clear and clear potential fin rot.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a bacterial issue, can you post a video so that I can see its respiration rate? I want to rule out a protozoan issue.

Is it still eating well?
How long have you had this fish?

Jay

OP
OP
K

kbarr31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a bacterial issue, can you post a video so that I can see its respiration rate? I want to rule out a protozoan issue.

Is it still eating well?
How long have you had this fish?

Jay
Not sure if the video is uploading, he seems to be eating normally and swimming normally except occasionally laying still on the rock for short periods which I’ve never seen him do, I’ve had the fish for over 4 months now, only two things different over the last month has been I added a fish exactly one month ago (stupidly without QT) it died two days later and I also about 10 days ago added a little neck clam into the tank, I checked all the other fish and they all look and are acting fine

OP
OP
K

kbarr31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure if the video is uploading, he seems to be eating normally and swimming normally except occasionally laying still on the rock for short periods which I’ve never seen him do, I’ve had the fish for over 4 months now, only two things different over the last month has been I added a fish exactly one month ago (stupidly without QT) it died two days later and I also about 10 days ago added a little neck clam into the tank, I checked all the other fish and they all look and are acting fine
Wasn’t sure if working so I posted this video

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn’t sure if working so I posted this video

I watched both videos a number of times - it is not 100% clear to me if the fin issue is the only problem with the fish (there are some marks on its side behind the fin). The fin looks much worse in the video than it did in the pictures though. That is certainly a bacterial infection. The best treatment for that would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. Trouble is, you can't dose your display with those, you need a treatment tank. The only "reef safe" treatment would be Ruby Reef Rally Pro, but it is not as strong of an antibiotic, it is more an antiseptic.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched both videos a number of times - it is not 100% clear to me if the fin issue is the only problem with the fish (there are some marks on its side behind the fin). The fin looks much worse in the video than it did in the pictures though. That is certainly a bacterial infection. The best treatment for that would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. Trouble is, you can't dose your display with those, you need a treatment tank. The only "reef safe" treatment would be Ruby Reef Rally Pro, but it is not as strong of an antibiotic, it is more an antiseptic.
Would it then be needed to QT and treat all fish? Not sure how communicable bacterial diseases are but have always assumed everything is potentially contagious.

Were QT not an option. Would feeding and clean water plus antiseptic resolve this eventually or one must use antibiotics? BTW, have all my vaccines. I'm not that guy :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it then be needed to QT and treat all fish? Not sure how communicable bacterial diseases are but have always assumed everything is potentially contagious.

Were QT not an option. Would feeding and clean water plus antiseptic resolve this eventually or one must use antibiotics? BTW, have all my vaccines. I'm not that guy :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

External bacterial diseases are usually not a primary infection, they almost always start with some injury to the fin or skin. There are some internal bacterial infections that can transmit fish to fish (like Mycobacterium). I have seen a few cases where the water quality of a tank was SO bad that the bacteria bloomed, causing fish to contract bacterial disease as a primary infection (no previous injury). In this case, I think the pectoral fin was damaged and that turned into a secondary infection. Undamaged fish should be fine.

Feeding the fish well just doesn't cure active (fulminant) infections. It certainly has a use in preventing infections.

Jay

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back