Possible white spots

litolitolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I just bought two days ago a white powder blue tang, on the first day the fish was fine second day started to rub itself against the sand/rocks.
It is a pretty new set up, I have two clowns and the tang.
I have not quarantined the fish as I just come from freshwater and never had issues with fishes.
I went to the LFS and they told me to bath the fish in freshwater, which I did the fish seems to be better stopped completely rubbing against stuff.
However I just saw these white spots on the fins/body of the fish.
Don’t know much what to do would anybody be able to help me?

Appreciate your patience and time.
IMG_2755.jpeg
IMG_2751.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R. Sorry this is happening to you. Unfortunately these fish are prone to having ich. Something to watch for is if the number and placement changes. This would point to ich for sure.

Here is some information that will help you out.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you also please provide a 30 second video with white lighting? Linking to YouTube works the best. Need to try and see the respiration rate of the fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone, I just bought two days ago a white powder blue tang, on the first day the fish was fine second day started to rub itself against the sand/rocks.
It is a pretty new set up, I have two clowns and the tang.
I have not quarantined the fish as I just come from freshwater and never had issues with fishes.
I went to the LFS and they told me to bath the fish in freshwater, which I did the fish seems to be better stopped completely rubbing against stuff.
However I just saw these white spots on the fins/body of the fish.
Don’t know much what to do would anybody be able to help me?

Appreciate your patience and time.
IMG_2755.jpeg
IMG_2751.jpeg
These are what powder blues are susceptible to known as mucus cones. Often it starts as a skin irritation and progresses and often mixed in with ich. Interesting is often other fish show no signs but have been exposed, Ideal is to treat all occupants but you can keep an eye on others for any outbreak. You will have to pull all eventually should they show signs so you have a choice to make. Typical treatment is use of either coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off and with occupants exposed, they too should go into quarantine
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be ich, or it could be mucus plugs. One way to try and tell them apart (and I can't tell from the photo, as they overlap) but spots on just the body can be mucus plugs, while spots on both the clear fins AND the body is more likely ich. Also, ich spots tend to come and go and change location every couple of days, while mucus plugs stay around for a few days or longer. One issue is that a common cause for mucus plugs IS ich.

Finally, powder blues so commonly contract ich, that I reel all of them need to be fully quarantined before adding them to the tank.

OP
OP
L

litolitolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R. Sorry this is happening to you. Unfortunately these fish are prone to having ich. Something to watch for is if the number and placement changes. This would point to ich for sure.

Here is some information that will help you out.

Thanks I will have a look!!

OP
OP
L

litolitolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wake up today and went straight to see the tank, no signs of white spots so I guess it’s inch right?

OP
OP
L

litolitolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be ich, or it could be mucus plugs. One way to try and tell them apart (and I can't tell from the photo, as they overlap) but spots on just the body can be mucus plugs, while spots on both the clear fins AND the body is more likely ich. Also, ich spots tend to come and go and change location every couple of days, while mucus plugs stay around for a few days or longer. One issue is that a common cause for mucus plugs IS ich.

Finally, powder blues so commonly contract ich, that I reel all of them need to be fully quarantined before adding them to the tank.
Hey, thanks for the advice I guess is Ich as today got
Much better

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wake up today and went straight to see the tank, no signs of white spots so I guess it’s inch right?
Be aware that ich spots fall off and then return in more numbers a few days later.
Here is the life cycle:
Screenshot_20240619_141251_Chrome.jpg

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • My coral

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%

Back