Power outage

triggerBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to a storm and power outage my tank is minus a few long term occupants.

Naso and Rabbit have been in my tank for 14 years.

Flame and Power Blue 7.
20240603_162747.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to a storm and power outage my tank is minus a few long term occupants.

Naso and Rabbit have been in my tank for 14 years.

Flame and Power Blue 7.
20240603_162747.jpg
Seeing the size of some of those fish really is heartbreaking.

Hopefully you can recover from those losses…

OP
OP
triggerBill

triggerBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My younger smaller fish survived as well as my coral. Acan, hammer, softies, and mushrooms.

I'm thinking about the addition of an Achilles tang, probably juvenile as I enjoyed watching these grow over the years.

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. That is really too had. I've added a UPS for some of the pumps and quite a few of those battery operated air pumps that turn on when the power is off when I'm not home to power up the generator.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry to hear about this. I'm fairly new to the scene, and don't have a plan for a power outage yet. I didn't realize 12 hours could do so much damage...
The only 2 things you really need to worry about is temp and oxygen levels. Get a battery powered air pump, and either use hot water in a bag or ice in a bag to cool or warm up the water. Corals and fish can survive without ligjt for a few days, food can wait, and flow can last a few days too.

OP
OP
triggerBill

triggerBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry to hear about this. I'm fairly new to the scene, and don't have a plan for a power outage yet. I didn't realize 12 hours could do so much damage...
Thanks, I didn’t know for sure how long it would take either. The power has gone out over the years but never this long.

I also have two of these just to run a pump or powerhead, but I would have to be home.
Screenshot_20240621_140359_Chrome.jpg

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 hours. I got home from work at 11 pm. I have a generator but it was too late.
Wow! I am so very sorry this happened to you. That is heart breaking to say the least. This is exactly why I have an appointment next week to get an estimate on install of a whole home standby generator. They are a good bit of money, but considering the time, money, effort and life we put in our mini reefs, I think they are well worth it. It will be a good benefit for us as well.

OP
OP
triggerBill

triggerBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. That is really too had. I've added a UPS for some of the pumps and quite a few of those battery operated air pumps that turn on when the power is off when I'm not home to power up the generator.
Thanks, I'm going to have to add something similar that is automatic. The timing was terrible, usually me or someone is home.

OP
OP
triggerBill

triggerBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I am so very sorry this happened to you. That is heart breaking to say the least. This is exactly why I have an appointment next week to get an estimate on install of a whole home standby generator. They are a good bit of money, but considering the time, money, effort and life we put in our mini reefs, I think they are well worth it. It will be a good benefit for us as well.
Thanks, I agree. The one time I needed it in 16 years, it would have been worth the expense.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UGH... that's a rough one. Sorry for your losses.
Being most of us piece our systems together piece by piece its easy to forget how pricey some of these things are to replace.
I recently changed pumps which made my old battery backup unusable. This post has inspired me to make replacing it a priority.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 10.0%
Back