Power outage

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everyone knows I will post the runtime formula for these battery generators

They all have some efficiency loss from converting ac to dc or dc to ac. It’s approx 10-15%. I use 15% in my formula for “worst case runtime” but in actuality the number of hours might be higher

(Watt Hours x .85 ) / watt load

Example - battery backup rated for 600 watt hours

(600 x .85) / 19 watts = about 27 hours of runtime.

From my screenshot above in the earlier post, my unit was telling me 30 hours of runtime with 19 watt load so the formula is close.
I assume this is the same for heaters? My understanding is that they can drain the batteries very quickly. I've also heard that you can still run your reef for 24 hours or so with the heaters being off. Does that sound correct?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this is the same for heaters? My understanding is that they can drain the batteries very quickly. I've also heard that you can still run your reef for 24 hours or so with the heaters being off. Does that sound correct?
I think this is highly dependent on the ambient temp in the room the tank is in.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters are very high power draw. 200 watts or more for medium sized tanks. They would drain battery quick. But. They only come on as needed usually for a few min at a time. When they are off, they don’t have any power drain

If ambient in the room is above 68/69 ish you shouldn’t have any issues as most corals and fish can do fine at those temps.

And the colder the ambient the faster the tank will cool. Ambient room of 50 will have the heater coming on a lot more than a room at 70.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters are very high power draw. 200 watts or more for medium sized tanks. They would drain battery quick. But. They only come on as needed usually for a few min at a time. When they are off, they don’t have any power drain

If ambient in the room is above 68/69 ish you shouldn’t have any issues as most corals and fish can do fine at those temps.

And the colder the ambient the faster the tank will cool. Ambient room of 50 will have the heater coming on a lot more than a room at 70.
Cooler water higher oxygen.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm definitely considering one. Do you have one, or a recommendation?
I don’t know what your budget is. I would avoid Generac and Briggs, or any affiliated brand if budget allows . They are not ‘bad’ but there is better for a bit more invested. Kohler makes very good units. I have a 22kW and a service entrance transfer switch.

Big enough for whole house, no load shedding or extra panel with limited circuits, etc.

I would have gone one size bigger for water cooled but it was beyond overkill.

Last edited:

oceanlover66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to a storm and power outage my tank is minus a few long term occupants.

Naso and Rabbit have been in my tank for 14 years.

Flame and Power Blue 7.
20240603_162747.jpg
I’m so very sorry for your loss. They are beautiful

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sorry to hear. That is really too had. I've added a UPS for some of the pumps and quite a few of those battery operated air pumps that turn on when the power is off when I'm not home to power up the generator.
How did you setup the battery pumps to only go on when there is no power? Apex?

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to a storm and power outage my tank is minus a few long term occupants.

Naso and Rabbit have been in my tank for 14 years.

Flame and Power Blue 7.
20240603_162747.jpg
I am so sorry to see this...just 10 days ago I had the exact same thing happen...power out for 10 hours, lost 8" Achilles, Naso, Dsjardin, Gem, Dusky Wrasse, Moorish Idol and many more....all were in perfect health, fat and loving life in my tank. It's truly one of the most horrible things that's ever happened to me in this passion we share....just have to make it never happen again. I am getting a couple of the Vortech Battery Backups for power heads and it has just spurred me on to getting a Canadian Solar EP Cube solar energy system for whole home power and to never have to rely on the grid again. Please feel free to communicate with me on your ideas and how you want to move forward with this sad event.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how you came to the decision on a solar (weather dependent) solution as opposed to a standby natural gas (or other) generator?

The cost appears to be similar and there are pros and cons to both.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP I'm really sorry for your losses, it's so sad to see them lined up like that.

@VintageReefer thank you so much for the suggestions, I had no idea there was such a thing out there. I'll definitely look into picking one of these up soon.

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how you came to the decision on a solar (weather dependent) solution as opposed to a standby natural gas (or other) generator?

The cost appears to be similar and there are pros and cons to both.
The solar power system I'm getting will not only power my entire house (except perhaps in the winter when my electrically powered heating system my overwhelm it and I'll have to pull from the grid) but it comes with 10kWh of backup battery. This will more than sufficiently back up my house for many hours and is constantly charged with daylight hours. I do have a 2kW Honda generator, but doubt I'll ever need it except in extreme situations.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back