Project EVO v 0.10 Plan

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banner v2.png

Hey everyone! I am beginning a new build soon and around to finalizing the equipment list. Would like some feedback and advice on the upcoming build. Thread layout and build ideas are inspired by @Elder1945 and his awesome builds.

The build is around 6 months away, hoping for a late January to mid February 2020 start. Reasons for a new build are that I am moving and my current tank has sprung a small leak that is manageable. This new tank will be a mid-high tech build and a primarily SPS dominant tank with other various corals.

Equipment List.png

Tank Dimensions.png

Stand Template.png

Stand Template 2.png

Currently, the equipment list is almost finalized with some items I am still deciding on. Listed below are some insight to my decision and questions regarding certain things.

TANK
Tank will be custom or pre-built based on my decision and will be made by SC Aquariums. I am contemplating between these two dimensions at the moment. I am aiming more towards the shallow tank due to the look, easier light penetration, and the ease to frag without getting drenched. With that said, the main reason is lighting. I already own the 48" Photon v2 with the 48" Aquatic T5 Hybrid which, I believe, should give a good par spread at around 10-12 inches from water line and around an 18" depth. On the other hand, the SCA 150 gallon is nice and the the extra gallons of water is a plus.

STAND
As for the stand, I am looking towards the DIY route as I have made my stand for my 80 gallon and I am pleased with it. Understandably, the tank will be larger and heavier I would need to build a better frame. Going back to the template and adjusting certain lumber pieces to accommodate the weight. I am wondering if having no center brace crucial to the weight load of the tank. I can just put the center brace and move past it, but would like some insight.

LIGHT
I am going to keep my currents lights as I am more than pleased with Photon v2 T5 Combo. Great spread and power from the Photon v2 and a blanket of light from ATI light builds can't be beat!

FILTRATION
Moving onward to sump and filtration. I am goign with the Red Flex 300 or 400 for my sump. Love the design of the sump because of its water silencer, socks or mesh option, and refugium space with water height adjuster. If budget allows, I will be going for the 400 as I would like the extra water volume. For filtration, I am going back to 200 micron socks due to the ease of removal from the sump. Also, will be adding around 2.5L of 25mm of Siporax ceramic rings, and Expression-LTD ATS. In addition, I will be using carbon from time to time similar to how WWC uses it. Lastly, the heart of this project will be a Deltec 1000IX or 1500IX in sump skimmer. I was considering the RO Classic 202-S, but I am a big fan of Adam's, @Battlecorals, farm and his methods. With some research on this brand and Adam's positive feedback on the skimmers finalized my choice. With that, I think the 1000IX is sufficient enough for my water volume with a medium bio-load. However, I am considering the 1500IX if needed.

CIRCULATION
After these past 3-ish years of getting Jebao wavemakers, great budget wavemakers, I am finally joining the EcoTech family. I will be getting two MP40QD for this build which should be more than enough for flow I want to achieve. Very excited for these due to their variety of flow patterns, no cords in tank, and water they push. Also, the ease of just pulling out the in water propeller to clean instead of pulling out a propeller and cord.

CONTROLLER
While doing some research on controllers it led me back to Apex each time. The price point on the controller and functionality is hard to beat. Also, the big community that is always there to help with any technical difficulties is a big plus. Also, the Trident is a big plus! Seen much positive reviews on the unit and I believe there is a discount on a half year reagent package. Overall, I believe Apex is a great controller and will be a great addition to the tank.

DOSER
Currently I have a Jebao dosing pump and am pleased with it. The only thing I wish it had was an app to adjust dosage amounts. With the new build, I decided to get a Wi-Fi dosing pump for easy adjustments. Coral Box Wi-Fi dosing pump caught my attention and seems to be what I am looking for at a good price point.

RETURN
I have always used a Jebao DC return pump since I started reefing and have not had any issues. They are amazing for the price for any reefer looking for a budget return. Moving forward with that experience, I am looking towards the Coral Box DCA return pumps which from what I read are a slightly better variation of the Jebao returns.

SUBSTRATE
Dry rock is the route I am taking for this build. I am going to be going with some Reefcleaners, BRS reefsaver, and handpicked dry rocks from LFS. Going for a aquascape that has lots of shelves and branches for SPS to branch out. With that being said, I am thinking of curing some shelves and branches now and have them ready by the time I set up the tank. As for sand, I am going to switch from CaribSea to Tropic Eden Life Reeflakes. I have read lots of good reviews on Tropic Eden sand and would like to try it out on this tank. On a side note, I will be adding MicroBacter 7 to the the curing rocks periodically to help seed bacteria and the new tank for the first two weeks or so.

FINAL THOUGHTS
In the end, I am very excited for this build as it will be my "perfectionist" build. This build will be built with organization as a priority and will include a control panel. I will start a build thread once the time comes and will be very thorough on the updates and plans for it.

If you have any input or suggestion, feel free to post them. I am open to new ideas and challenges when it comes to this hobby as my passion for it grows everyday.

OP
OP
Dan I

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have some insight on my stand design options? Wondering if I should just stick the safe route with the center brace or without?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back