Quanta Helix Light Bar 2.0 First Impressions

mr fishy 3000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone I wanted to post a thread about my new lighting setup on my 75g mixed reef.

Some background:

I found out about Quanta Lights in the most unlikely sequence ever. I have known Luca, the owner of Quanta Lights for over 4 years now. I met him at the gym 4 years ago and have been great friends with him ever since. Recently in August he asked me how my weekend was on a Monday before work, I told him it was great and that I was super excited to see the new results that my AI Hydra 32s were gonna give me. Up until this point I had no idea that he was involved in the Reef lighting industry. After telling him this, he told me about his company and what he does for work. I was blown away that I didn't know this sooner, and honestly disappointed in myself for not asking him sooner. Since he was one of my best gym buddies I knew I had to give his lights a shot.

After annoying Luca for the past 2 months about when the lights where coming in, he finally recieved his first shipment from the factory and I was one of the first people to get my hands on them. And let me say WOW was I blown away by the quality. I am so impressed on how well they feel in hand, and the design of them. Every single piece of the light looks like it was over engineered to withstand everything. After getting the 3 bar White+ combo set up on my tank everything in the tank looks incredible. All the fish have the best coloration I have ever seen, and the corals are full of color.

Before my Quanta Light bars I had two different lights I have had expirence with. I started with a Current USA Light Bar. With this I basically had slow to no growth from my corals, this is solely because there was a terrible spectrum on it and it was very weak in power. After having enough of the Current USA Light I decided to upgrade back in August to two Hydra 32's. My experience with these lights was alright, obviously it was nice to have the app control, but once everything was set I basically never used the app. I ran the Hydras with BRS recommended settings and after using the for about two months I saw a little coral growth but nothing jaw dropping.

Here are the settings I ran both my Hydra 32s at:
  • UV: 110%
  • Violet: 110%
  • Royal: 120%
  • Blue: 120%
  • Green: 10%
  • Deep Red: 10%
  • Moonlight: n/a
  • Cool White: 60%
With these settings I had about 330 par at the top of my Acros and 280 at the top of my Stylofora. I had about 200 par at my hammer corals and 180 at my Kenya tree. See the photos for coral placement in my tank. It is a 75g with standard dimensions. In total the Hydras cost me $429 per light, and $100 for each HMS mounting bracket. So in total it was $1060+sales tax.

With these new Helix Lights I expect the same to better results I was getting from 2 Hydra 32s. This is because these Helix Bars have a better spectrum than the Hydras and seem like they will last longer. I also believe that because these will reduce shadows because they will yield better results to corals lower in the tank like my Zoas and Kenya Trees. When testing the 3 bar setup, with all three bars at 100% I was getting about 900 par at the water line on the tank. I turned them down to about 65% and have 325par at my Acros and my Stylo. At my Trumpets, Gongordians, Blasto, and Hammers I was getting about 250-200 par. At my GSP and Kenya Trees I was getting about 150 par. As for a testament to the build quality, I decided to mix up a new batch of saltwater the night I got my lights and didn't take my 10ft hose off my pump. When I woke up in the morning, I walked over by my tank and about 3 gallons of saltwater had spilt onto the Helix power supplies. I dried everything off, and my lights still turned right on at 8am. I was so impressed that these were designed to withstand this because I know if that would have happened to my Hydra Power Supplies I don't think they would be turning on.

When I picked up the lights from Luca, I convinced him to let me buy another two foot Reef Crest 2.0 light bar for my refugium. This is purely for my curiosity to see how well my cheato grows under this light and to see if I can save a couple bucks from my current refugium light, The Kessil A360x Refugium. With this Kessil I ran the light on the grow spectrum at 100% intensity. I was getting my cheato to double every two weeks in size. At the top of the refugium waterline I was getting a little over 1000 Par, and at the bottom of the refugium I was getting a little over 400 par. With the new Reef Crest light bar I was getting about 400 Par at the top of the water and 150 at the bottom. I understand that the Reef Crest 2.0 is not designed to grow cheato, but at about half the price 1/3 of the price if I can get half the results of the Kessil I will be extremely happy. I also talked with Luca and he said he is working on creating a refugium specific light.

In all I think everyone considering reef lighting should seriously consider these Quanta Helix Light Bars. If you have any questions post them below and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

The first image attached is my tank with the 3 Bar Setup on it. The second attachment is a picture of the Power Supplies with all the water on them. The third photo is a picture of my Ehiem Auto Fish feeder attached to my Helix Support. The fourth photo is my tank with the two Hyrda 32s on the tank. The fifth photo is a picture of my refugium with the Helix Light Bar on it. The sixth photo is a picture of my tank with the Hydra 32s. The seventh photo is a picture of the tank with two hydra 32s lighting it. and the eighth photo is a picture of me using the refugium light as a moonlight on my tank.

tempImageI8NsED.png tempImageJ1TMNI.png tempImageA5dkuM.png tempImageFM1Yp0.png tempImageWP6Hlk.png tempImageNXT0u3.png tempImagev5kRuy.png tempImage7hEx9K.png

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm hovering over the "Checkout" button on the 3 bar combo myself. I'm leaning two Meso Blue and one Reef Crest, though.

I wish someone (*cough* @Lousybreed *cough*) would post a simple "full tank shot" of the two different combos (2 MB + 1 RC and 2 RC + 1 MB) to compare. ;)

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hovering over the "Checkout" button on the 3 bar combo myself. I'm leaning two Meso Blue and one Reef Crest, though.
What lights do you currently have?
After seeing the stock left, I would get your order in asap because he is gonna be sold out in a day or two. The amount of orders he got is insane. Happy I got mine so I didn't have to wait another month and a half from them to come from the manufacture.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What lights do you currently have?
After seeing the stock left, I would get your order in asap because he is gonna be sold out in a day or two. The amount of orders he got is insane. Happy I got mine so I didn't have to wait another month and a half from them to come from the manufacture.

I run older AI lights (Prime HDs and Hydra 26HDs) with upgraded LED pucks from @luxdium I got in on the beta test almost 5 years ago and have been running nothing else since then.

Was thinking of a pair of Meso Blue bars for fill with my Lux'd Hydras, but I'm debating trying the full set to see how I like it. I love my LuxEngine, but always itching to try new stuff and support the "little guys". Worst case, I end up with a spare Reef Crest bar I'm not using.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just got mine today and i also got white plus ..we see looking foward to seeing it tomorrow ..might be a bit too white for me looking at your pics but the 2 mesos would be too blue lol ..the 1 to 1 ratio is what i reallly wanted but 3 cords and just mainly lps i said lets just see. Ill try and take pics tmrw

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my white bars set at 50% and 100% and the blue at 70% I believe. It is nice because each bar is adjustable. Your spectrum could look more blue if you increase the Meso blue. I also wanted the 4 bar but, I didn't have room on top of my tank for four bars.

wjm6449

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my white bars set at 50% and 100% and the blue at 70% I believe. It is nice because each bar is adjustable. Your spectrum could look more blue if you increase the Meso blue. I also wanted the 4 bar but, I didn't have room on top of my tank for four bars.
How are the controls? Do they run on a timer? Any new recommendations. I just bought a 71” day crest helix. Excited but not sure what to fully expect

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the controls? Do they run on a timer? Any new recommendations. I just bought a 71” day crest helix. Excited but not sure what to fully expect
The controls are alright. You are able to dim them via dial or 0-10v dimming if you have a controller. I control mine with Kasa smart outlets. I just set a on and off timer on the outlets just have the dimming dim set to my preferences. If you have a controller you can do way more complex schedules, I just don't have one.

wjm6449

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controls are alright. You are able to dim them via dial or 0-10v dimming if you have a controller. I control mine with Kasa smart outlets. I just set a on and off timer on the outlets just have the dimming dim set to my preferences. If you have a controller you can do way more complex schedules, I just don't have one.
Yeah I just went with it as I have an ai blade, but a simple WiFi kasa switch with a timer isn’t a huge deal either. For what I’m reading and for the price you can’t complain it seems

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just went with it as I have an ai blade, but a simple WiFi kasa switch with a timer isn’t a huge deal either. For what I’m reading and for the price you can’t complain it seems
Exactly the way I looked at it. IMO after initial setup you really never use the app, and you're paying for it the entire time.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i will say the white plus is pretty white. I maxed out the blue and have one white at 70 and the other at 60 i believe and that looks better . Right now im using the tank mount until i can get it mounted to ceiling, lets just hope i dont have to do a waterchange or move frags lol i left enough slack to set it down but obviously thats a pain. It does look nice but with the extra cords and power supplies its a bit much for a standalone light imo. I might have over thought it since i really only do lps and 2 primes were enough to cut it and more ways to adjust spectrum., not to.mention much much cleaner look . Ill give them a shot though for a couple months . However to run them at the spectrum i like im cutting back 20 to 30% power on reefcrests so chances are my par went down but it may be a better spectrum for growing so we will see .

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back