Quietest filter roller?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently own a Red Sea 500 filter roller. It’s loud and my wife hates it. Are all of them loud? Is there a quieter option?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same roller. If she is that sensitive she probably isn't going to like any. Maybe ask her kindly to deal with it. It's not like it's a continuous sound. Just a second and it's over. If it's a sleeping issue just put it in manual mode at night. I let mine over flow sometimes just to get some extra nutrients back in the water.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same roller. If she is that sensitive she probably isn't going to like any. Maybe ask her kindly to deal with it. It's not like it's a continuous sound. Just a second and it's over. If it's a sleeping issue just put it in manual mode at night. I let mine over flow sometimes just to get some extra nutrients back in the water.
Agreed, but maybe use a different phrase than "deal with it" :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but maybe use a different phrase than "deal with it" :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Your probably right but I'm a little rough around the edges. My Gal was just asking about noises today. She doesn't complain tho just asks ;) She told me today she likes the sound of the water flowing in the overflow and sump of my new WB 330.7 She's a keeper.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a trickle noise or something that makes it loud or the incoming feed water?
If the latter then put the roller on a siphon instead so theres no air noise.
If the former then raise the water level in the sump if able or lower the unit deeper into the water and remove the media basket.
Can confirm from first hand experience that theres no noise differences with a clarrisea or g1 bubble magus assuming the conditions are the same.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a trickle noise or something that makes it loud or the incoming feed water?
If the latter then put the roller on a siphon instead so theres no air noise.
If the former then raise the water level in the sump if able or lower the unit deeper into the water and remove the media basket.
Can confirm from first hand experience that theres no noise differences with a clarrisea or g1 bubble magus assuming the conditions are the same.
The motor is very loud. Tank is in living room and can be heard in bedroom. It’s not my device since I already had a motor failure and replaced the motor and it’s the same.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately if its the motor they're all loud like that with some being a lot worse than others (particularly end of roll)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately if its the motor they're all loud like that with some being a lot worse than others (particularly end of roll)
This. I've owned and tested more than a few brands, they all make noise when advancing. Tested a redsea 1200, noise isn't bad IMHO. Worse IMHO motor noise is the 1st gen Bubble Magus and Theiling (sp?) roller.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back