Rapid tail rot(?) on captive-bred Ocellaris

KGNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This juvenile Ocellaris is captive-bred and about 4-5 months old and was added to a new tank after a completed tank cycle one month ago.

Current water parameters:
Water parameters appear fine: Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 20ppm, pH 8.4, Water temp 26°C, Salinity 1.024.

Over the past 48 hours I've noticed this fish's tail rapidly deteriorating and becoming pale

The fish has been eating fine, a mix of flakes and mysis - though in the past 24 hours the tail has been slowing the fish down a lot and seems to be eating less and resting on the sand more.

Additional history:
Some blemishes/lesions appeared on only the white parts of the fish over the first 10 days in the tank. The white tail strip also darkened over that period. I tried Melafix without much improvement, but the lesions seem to have stabilized without progressing. I made a post here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clownfish-bruising-lesion.936964/post-12892727

I've not seen aggression other than this fish darting/charging towards the other clown in the pair on the first couple days in the tank. Not seen any aggression since, in fact I see them resting on the sand together quite often.

I have Metroplex, Kanaplex and Focus on hand. If I were to administer any of these, is it alright to dose the main tank (fish only - and only the pair of Ocellaris). Or do I need to separate the fish into QT?

Greatly appreciate any advice!

Attached: Video is from today. Photo is from yesterday evening. IMG20241014201006.jpg IMG20241014201006.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20241015091423.mp4
    13.7 MB
  • VID_20241015091423.mp4
    13.7 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
This juvenile Ocellaris is captive-bred and about 4-5 months old and was added to a new tank after a completed tank cycle one month ago.

Current water parameters:
Water parameters appear fine: Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 20ppm, pH 8.4, Water temp 26°C, Salinity 1.024.

Over the past 48 hours I've noticed this fish's tail rapidly deteriorating and becoming pale

The fish has been eating fine, a mix of flakes and mysis - though in the past 24 hours the tail has been slowing the fish down a lot and seems to be eating less and resting on the sand more.

Additional history:
Some blemishes/lesions appeared on only the white parts of the fish over the first 10 days in the tank. The white tail strip also darkened over that period. I tried Melafix without much improvement, but the lesions seem to have stabilized without progressing. I made a post here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clownfish-bruising-lesion.936964/post-12892727

I've not seen aggression other than this fish darting/charging towards the other clown in the pair on the first couple days in the tank. Not seen any aggression since, in fact I see them resting on the sand together quite often.

I have Metroplex, Kanaplex and Focus on hand. If I were to administer any of these, is it alright to dose the main tank (fish only - and only the pair of Ocellaris). Or do I need to separate the fish into QT?

Greatly appreciate any advice!

Attached: Video is from today. Photo is from yesterday evening. IMG20241014201006.jpg IMG20241014201006.jpg
This looks like aggression damage and likely from other clown which is likely a female
What other occupants in the tank?
This will repair on its own as long as it’s not continued to be nipped at
May require isolating the other clown

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back