Rare Corals/Corals Absent from the Hobby

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're "coldwater" species and known not to do well in our tropical reefs, so they're not very common anymore, but Matsu Collections says they offer both (Lythrypnus dalli and Lythrypnus zebra).
It’s why I’d love a nano I can just run at room temperature and nothing special.

These fish are very tolerant and can be in warmer temperatures during summer but obviously should go back to cooler temperatures in autumn-spring.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a look at the original video of the red torch, and, most of the skeleton looks normal colored, but for the life of me I can’t figure out what that red splotch on the skeleton is.
IMG_7723.jpeg
I won’t lie, it looks like someone’s taken a UV Torch to it.
Here’s my Tiger Torch with a UV torch on it.
IMG_1499.jpeg

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pectinia elongata.
Going to borrow this picture from @fishguy242 as he's the last person I know who had a colony.
The last frag I saw was sold by liveaquaria
IMG_20220709_031540_946.jpg
This is the one I was talking about I saw for sale this is under whites. I would like to see what it looks like under blues.

Attachments

• 13709BFD-A09E-4CA6-937C-D0E22FF925E8.jpeg
    13709BFD-A09E-4CA6-937C-D0E22FF925E8.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 24

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Im in the south of the UK. We can’t get any direct Aussie Coral so people do lean away from the Aussie grown Indo Coral.
But I’d love some of the Aussie Elegance, Aussie Bubble Coral - Physogyra litchensteini, and Aussie Gold torches - although the Indo Golds are now coming in as vibrant as Aussies are.
My Warpaint Elegance;
IMG_1471.jpeg
Most vendors here in the states stopped selling Aussie Gold torches they are just very hard to keep they don’t live long and the few vendors that I know have tried antibiotic treatment on them, and it did not work as much as I would like a Aussie Gold torch I stay away from them

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What color is uc torch of the gods in person?

I see pics showing orange and pics showing gold

Attachments

• F485DF80-5274-433E-B6F2-EC4E4AAFDA75.jpeg
    F485DF80-5274-433E-B6F2-EC4E4AAFDA75.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 413EF48B-ED67-462A-8B19-E03DEBA2195A.jpeg
    413EF48B-ED67-462A-8B19-E03DEBA2195A.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 18

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Most vendors here in the states stopped selling Aussie Gold torches they are just very hard to keep they don’t live long and the few vendors that I know have tried antibiotic treatment on them, and it did not work as much as I would like a Aussie Gold torch I stay away from them
I would mostly agree, but there are exceptions:

IMG_7745.jpeg

IMG_7747.jpeg

Taken from my living room tank 2 minutes ago.

I bought it as one head 4 years ago, split into 2 which I cut into two pieces, and now both are splitting into 4 heads each. The one thing I will say about these is that you have to acclimate them very slowly, start at 100 par and moderate to low flow, and move them to 150 par and higher flow slowly over a year. Right now 4 years later they are in moderate flow 70% of the time and high flow %30 percent of the time, and they get around 180-200 par for 4 hours at peak time during the day under ecotech radions and t5 lights.

It is an extremely slow grower and takes a lot of patience.

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Here’s a talk by Jake he had done on common corals in the wild that aren’t in the hobby.

Yesterday, at a frag swap I found this. Not sure what type of lepto but as soon as I saw it I swooped it.
2DED20DF-DCDC-4AC3-9C07-8D82AED11086.jpeg

Could be Lepto Scabra?

I picked up something that looks really similar to that but is pink, and have no idea what it is. Will try and take a pic of the one I have later, but does anyone know what this above is?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe nowadays many refer to them as convict chalices.
This one was different than the standard convicts! It had an orange glow that was insane not the greenish looking ones.. those came around awhile after the rising sun dropped.

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Pink? Post pic
Animated GIF
Yeah will post a pic when I get back to the house. Saw it at an LFS and it was about half the size of a penny and couldn’t make out what it was, bought it on a hunch, but now grew to about a quarter size. It’s not a crazy shade of pink but does look interesting. Will post the pic later.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s a talk by Jake he had done on common corals in the wild that aren’t in the hobby.

Yesterday, at a frag swap I found this. Not sure what type of lepto but as soon as I saw it I swooped it.
2DED20DF-DCDC-4AC3-9C07-8D82AED11086.jpeg

Could be Lepto Scabra?

Wow bro this just blew my mind, i had one of those same color as well going way back 25 or so year’s ago from my lfs at the time which is long gone now, i remember going to the lfs one evening it was still dark out early in the evening so it must’ve been in the winter and I remember it was a Friday night because I had a big paycheck that week with a lot of overtime on it and did what us refers do, decided to treat myself for working so much, I was the only one at in the store, and I was just taking my time looking around to see what new stuff was in, back then this was the best place around and it was there for a long time. I grew up right around the corner from the place and used to always go in there when I was a kid to look at all of the fish and Corals I was fascinated by it all. So anyway, as I’m walking around, I see this coral here same exact one that you have but bigger it was a good 6 inches, so I said to the owner, John, what is this thing and where is it from? I’ve never seen anything like it. What is it? And I was surprised because he wasn’t sure what it was. He said I’m not sure it came in from Australia so I said OK you could pack it up I’m going to take this piece, I’ve always loved the oddball stuff or stuff. I’ve never seen before I still do as a matter fact. So I get it home, put it in my tank and I remember a few days later I saw it one evening all puffed up with all its tentacles out the thing looked wild I remember how stoked I was looking at it. I had it for a long time and it was always a healthy fleshy piece I had it all the way up until the time we moved, and I broke the tank completely down and gave that piece to a friend of mine along with a bunch of other stuff I gave him some awesome clams as well. It’s really amazing how this picture triggered this memory it’s so vivid, thank you for sharing that pic brother i really want to find another one now and I’m pretty sure I have a old pic of it somewhere if I could find my pile of old pictures, sorry about rambling on so much, good luck with that. Please take good care of it, if you ever decide to get rid of it, you have a buyer I would definitely jump on that, thanks again

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another rare coral I’ve not seen for ages, Astreopora. Any of that genus - I miss my large piece I had (I still have the skeleton of it - I’m tempted to paint it with Blacklight Paint).

DO YOU PRIORITIZE YOUR TANK AFTER A LONG DAY?

• Yes, my tank helps me with day-to-day stress relief.

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • Yes, even if I don't feel like it.

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • It depends on the day.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • No, I'll try to save my "tank work" for a different day.

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back