Red Sea Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Drflashpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife and I decided to get a 150-200gallon tank, being new to the hobby of reef tanks we shopped around and bought a whole setup.

Red Sea MAX 750 g2+

Great! Until it arrived. Both main tank and sump were broken. But to be fair this looked like shipping damage. The shipping box was missing a pallet foot, beat up, and fell apart as we opened. The shipping company driver rolled the wheel of the pallet jack off the back edge of the loft gate in order to get the tank out of the truck, so it rocked pretty badly on the truck exit.

What’s done is done. But my question now is:

Should I stick with Red Sea?

I see all the posts about failures, I’m trying to determine if there have been any changes to the tanks, what the real % failure rate is, etc. I don’t want to end up with a broken tank in 1-4 years.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G2 should be fine - If sticking with RS, I’d personally go with the S series since they’re braced and have aluminum stands.

Top retail tank kit out there right now is the IM EXT in my opinion. But you should be fine with the G2, the G1s I’d stay clear away from. Also, you’re going to hate the overflow drain design.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife and I decided to get a 150-200gallon tank, being new to the hobby of reef tanks we shopped around and bought a whole setup.

Red Sea MAX 750 g2+

Great! Until it arrived. Both main tank and sump were broken. But to be fair this looked like shipping damage. The shipping box was missing a pallet foot, beat up, and fell apart as we opened. The shipping company driver rolled the wheel of the pallet jack off the back edge of the loft gate in order to get the tank out of the truck, so it rocked pretty badly on the truck exit.

What’s done is done. But my question now is:

Should I stick with Red Sea?

I see all the posts about failures, I’m trying to determine if there have been any changes to the tanks, what the real % failure rate is, etc. I don’t want to end up with a broken tank in 1-4 years.
I would avoid. I just got rid of a red sea and the stress of always checking the seam is gone! Mine was a 70 gallon. No way in hEll would I get another red sea

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there is an alternate shipping method that could be used to minimize stress to any tank. Maybe enhanced packaging-inside-packaging, or additional/larger/absorbing pallets, or special trucks, or a balloon insert inside the tank, etc.

2nd tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a Red Sea setup from a local fish store with a little markup because they took the shipping stress for you and can assure it’s intact when you receive it.

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took three attempts to deliver an intact RS525 G2+ Max for me. Red Sea and my dealer did the right thing each time. First was shipping damage, bad carrier who wanted me to sign / accept as undamaged while it obviously was so I refused delivery. Red Sea reshipped a new one but to my dealer on accident - didn’t matter as the carrier damaged that tank also. Third delivery was successful but just barely as they brought a tractor trailer when they were not supposed to. The driver was good and listened to my suggestions as to how to get in and out safely vs redeliver likely damaging a third tank.

As to all the noise about RS tanks. As far as I can tell the G2s are solid tanks. I’m not afraid of mine at all. I’d suggest from what I read in forums etc. a lot of the G1 complaints are induced by the owners but clearly those tanks are tighter tolerance hence more susceptible.

My RS170 was delivered safely first time but RS sent the wrong stand which they quickly fixed.

Overall would have appreciated a better shipping experience and wonder how they can make money that way but I guess I’ll hazard most carriers are better than mine…

Love my RS525 G2+. The RS170 G2+. Meh not so much.

SeeSnek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a Red Sea setup from a local fish store with a little markup because they took the shipping stress for you and can assure it’s intact when you receive it.
At least around here, local prices seem to be same as online, probably fixed by a MAP. But sales tax is something you can avoid by buying online.

Brent Bohannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my reefer 250 for 8 years through 2.5 moves and no problems. It was never perfectly level until now with the final move and no issues. As long as you don't chop up the seems while scraping it is fine. I purchased my Reefer 1000 from a local store and it was drop shipped. No issues. He ate the sales tax but made it up in the end with other sales. Redsea makes a good product, they just had either a bad run of tanks or a bad run of purchasers. Considering they sell thousands of tanks every month, I'd say the chances of having a bad one are very slim. Their customer is service is very good as well. I'm sure they have offered to replace the one you got already.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back