Red sea tank crash!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended course of action? Drain tank and replace? Have the silicone redone? Or put a big glob of silicone covering the corner between front and bottom glass?
Drain tank and replace or redo it all and probably eurobrace bottom and top on redo.

The redo is not for faint of heart to get silicone between the panes correct. Most people replace.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is the recommended course of action? Drain tank and replace? Have the silicone redone? Or put a big glob of silicone covering the corner between front and bottom glass?
The first step if its leaking is removing the water, etc. The first step if it's not leaking is to remove the water, etc. Then - I would call RedSea. I would have pictures, etc - documenting what you saw, found. If not for yourself, for your insurance if there is any damage.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP you have my sympathy. I can't imagine how it must have felt being helpless to do anything to save your animals.
I didn't read all of the post but want to chime in on my experience with state farm ins when I had a tank leak. I called to start the claim and got an awesome person. I told her the tank had leaked and soaked the carpet and drained into the bedroom below. She asked if it leaked or broke. Before I replied she stated if it leaked it isn't covered but if it broke it is. I replied it broke. She said ok and started the claim. If it happens again I'm just breaking it and blaming it on my grand son lol

OP
OP
duckdodgers

duckdodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this typically indicates a problem is developing and would afford you time to take appropriate action prior to a significant event but the OP has not responded to this. I'm curious when the photo was taken in relation to the failure. It would be nice to have that timeline of weeks or months so you know how quick you need to react.
I've been busy it's called work . But it was taken 2 days before

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps locate a tank builder willing to come to you to fix and redo the seals. No sense throwing away good glass and I'd Euro brace the top and bottom just to play it safe. Rimless is cute but not always pragmatic. Definitely get a new stand such as extruded aluminum.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I saw that kind of failure developing for sure brute cans and draining. I'd talk to my LFS about temporary housing of livestock and then try to figure the tank situation out.

BillFish Coral Lover

Most Excellent Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry - I don't understand - I'm not sure what you mean by 'they won't do it'. I agree you have 2 contractual relationships. One between you and the insurance company, and 2 with your agent. If you have documentation that you asked your agent to make sure that your policy contains something that would cover aquarium damage, he or she says 'they will', and they don't you may have a cause of action against the agent's errors and omissions policy. We bought our first house, and requested an extra flooding rider due to the neighborhood. The insurance agent listed that it was present. Unfortunately, a 10 inch rain happened 2 weeks after moved in - with about 2 feet of water in about 1800 sq feet of our house. The agent ended up having to cover the damage, since it was clearly stated that supposedly the insurance had been put into place. If we had not had that conversation documented, there would have been no reimbursement.
What I meant was that the insurance company (and your agent) would not put something in writing in a preliminary fashion. Of course, if they did you would recover, as you were able to do, happily.

DO YOU PRIORITIZE YOUR TANK AFTER A LONG DAY?

• Yes, my tank helps me with day-to-day stress relief.

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • Yes, even if I don't feel like it.

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • It depends on the day.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • No, I'll try to save my "tank work" for a different day.

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back