Reddish brown algae with roots on sand, please help with ID

imbob95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reasonably new 10 gallons low flow tank, just a return pump no wavemaker
This project was intended to be a low maintenance tank, so I haven't been doing regular water changes -- I understand this may be a mistake with the amount of corals/livestock I have in there, but it's hard to resist at the local fish store sometimes...
Tank contains one clown, kenya tree, 2 zoas, some gsp, 2 mushrooms, 1 shrimp, 2 margarita snails, and a recently deceased emerald crab

Had a problem with green hair algae overtaking, so had kept the lights off for a while and I put some chaeto and grape caulerpa in the refugium which is helping
IMG_9850.jpg
IMG_9852.jpg
IMG_9851.jpg
IMG_9854.jpg

Recently this reddish brown algae has been sprouting up, which I need help identifying
It doesn't look like the pictures online of cyano or of something like cotton candy algae, but I might just be mistaken in that
It is growing both deep in the sand and has what appears to be roots on the surface of the sand, I can't work out if this is the same algae or two different ones

Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reasonably new 10 gallons low flow tank, just a return pump no wavemaker
This project was intended to be a low maintenance tank, so I haven't been doing regular water changes -- I understand this may be a mistake with the amount of corals/livestock I have in there, but it's hard to resist at the local fish store sometimes...
Tank contains one clown, kenya tree, 2 zoas, some gsp, 2 mushrooms, 1 shrimp, 2 margarita snails, and a recently deceased emerald crab

Had a problem with green hair algae overtaking, so had kept the lights off for a while and I put some chaeto and grape caulerpa in the refugium which is helping
IMG_9850.jpg
IMG_9852.jpg
IMG_9851.jpg
IMG_9854.jpg

Recently this reddish brown algae has been sprouting up, which I need help identifying
It doesn't look like the pictures online of cyano or of something like cotton candy algae, but I might just be mistaken in that
It is growing both deep in the sand and has what appears to be roots on the surface of the sand, I can't work out if this is the same algae or two different ones

Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you
Working on ID but try an urchin and sand sifting goby or starfish to get rid of it.

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back