reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A0C5EB9B-398F-4AD6-AE7B-3A01ED83B499.jpeg

Fairly certain I have no idea what I’m doing

Thats pretty much what I was getting

Try running "sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-1.0-pi0.deb"

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have ui running you can go to
https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases with browser

click correct file ,download it ,then click on it and ui will ask to install.

Once downloaded you can use the file browser to browser to user/ download and click on the file to install...

I Find from command line better but its just a option.. ALSO In latest pi (not reef-pi) I had a dpkg issue.... I cant find the command right now but i had to repair it..

sudo dpkg --configure -a .. GOOGLE This is its wrong and should get you correct syntax....

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded my doser build today, since it’s two channel ,decided to put the pi pwm in actual use.
Build: pi zero, perma proto board, l293d, one lm2596 (for 12v to 5v conversion), two 12v peristaltic pump, 12v 2amp power adapter

Housing : uxcell enclosure , nylon standoff’s
308AFC02-40AA-4DFE-A2FF-987EFF041B9E.jpeg

Circuit closeup : I can control the speed, duration and direction of both peristaltic pumps using a single l293d chip. Pi prvoided two pwm input and 4 gpio for direction control . Green wires are pi pwm in, blue are gpio , yellow are doser pwm our
B61FAAE7-919E-40FF-85EE-22A6410EFB6C.jpeg

Pi zero is hidden below the perma proto board

Dosers
7C861BD6-39D9-4567-8AF3-A50AA6B6A615.jpeg

Looks so much better than the old wooden enclosure. I’ll put it to use back again, and let you know how it went. Initial testing are all green. There was a bug in pi pwm, @philshel pointed our earlier, fixed that as well

So.....what did you do to correct the pwm issue? Is it something that will require another update?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.....what did you do to correct the pwm issue? Is it something that will require another update?
The order of setting pwm frequency and then duty cycle during initialization was wrong . This will require a code change for permanent fix.
But this should unblock you , without any upgrade (it won’t be permanent)
Code:
sudo -i
echo 100000 > /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm0/period

Do the same for pin 1 as well (gpio19)

jcmental

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had enough. since having to upgrade to 2. Beta...whatever I can't get things to work that were previously running fine, My relays chatter and twitch the lights don't ramp up or down any more and the temp control's are all but programmable I've got it working but just cant enter any thing into the boxes.
So I'm putting every thing back to timers and normal on off switches, I'm going to sell my pi's and touch screen and may be invest in some more live stock.

Thanks for all the help Ranjib but its all to much hassle when a simple £5 timer will do the same job.
I wish you all the best in you venture for a usable controller and look forward to seeing the finished article.

Joe

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The order of setting pwm frequency and then duty cycle during initialization was wrong . This will require a code change for permanent fix.
Code:
sudo -i

Thanks, I will give it a try.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had enough. since having to upgrade to 2. Beta...whatever I can't get things to work that were previously running fine, My relays chatter and twitch the lights don't ramp up or down any more and the temp control's are all but programmable I've got it working but just cant enter any thing into the boxes.
So I'm putting every thing back to timers and normal on off switches, I'm going to sell my pi's and touch screen and may be invest in some more live stock.

Thanks for all the help Ranjib but its all to much hassle when a simple £5 timer will do the same job.
I wish you all the best in you venture for a usable controller and look forward to seeing the finished article.

Joe
I understand . There’s been lot of bugs in beta. Appreciate your honest feedback

Harry Rayner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib I have downloaded the file onto the pi and when trying to install this it doesn’t move past waiting for authentication, any ideas?

Last edited:

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Code:
sudo -i

Does not seem to work for me. I set the pwm "jacks" and lighting controls up, rebooted and then input
Code:
sudo -i
echo 100000 > /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm1/period
Here is the error I get,
Jul 09 11:04:34 reef-pi-test reef-pi[331]: 2018/07/09 11:04:34 lighting-subsystem: Setting PWM value: 36 at channel: 0
Jul 09 11:04:34 reef-pi-test reef-pi[331]: 2018/07/09 11:04:34 ERROR: lighting-subsystem: Failed to set pwm value. Error: write /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm0/duty_cycle: invalid argument
Jul 09 11:04:34 reef-pi-test reef-pi[331]: 2018/07/09 11:04:34 lighting-subsystem: Setting PWM value: 33 at channel: 1
Jul 09 11:04:34 reef-pi-test reef-pi[331]: 2018/07/09 11:04:34 ERROR: lighting-subsystem: Failed to set pwm value. Error: write /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm1/duty_cycle: invalid argument

Also 0 voltage at gpio18.

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I have to ask for help yet again! I'm starting to feel disheartened here. Setting aside the issue I have been having with the rpi pwm which is on a pi3 that I am using as a testing platform for a complete controller. I also have a pi-zero that I use strictly to run my Kessils over my tank. Now that setup is not working. It is running 1.3 and has the PCA9685 board and the dimming circuit. Suddenly it is refusing to show the "lighting" tab. This happened a couple of weeks ago and I removed and replaced reef-pi and it came back. Now I have R&R several times and nothing is working, no errors, just no tab and no control of the lights. What if the breakout board died, would reef-pi refuse to display the controls under that failure?

Edit: I just got the first error in the logs.

Jul 09 15:28:30 Reef-Pi reef-pi[216]: 2018/07/09 15:28:30 ERROR: Failed to initi alize lighting subsystem
Jul 09 15:28:30 Reef-Pi reef-pi[216]: 2018/07/09 15:28:30 ERROR: Failed to load lighting sub-system. Error: remote I/O error

Last edited:

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Joe
The thing is 2. x is beta software. a lot of changes were made in the code and being worked out.. You can go back to 1.5 (I think was the latest actual release ) and wait out until 2x final release are at least to a pre RELEASE State...

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that doser looks sweet man. I plan on getting one in my system as I get there. I just wrapped up phase 2 of my system

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I have to ask for help yet again! I'm starting to feel disheartened here. Setting aside the issue I have been having with the rpi pwm which is on a pi3 that I am using as a testing platform for a complete controller. I also have a pi-zero that I use strictly to run my Kessils over my tank. Now that setup is not working. It is running 1.3 and has the PCA9685 board and the dimming circuit. Suddenly it is refusing to show the "lighting" tab. This happened a couple of weeks ago and I removed and replaced reef-pi and it came back. Now I have R&R several times and nothing is working, no errors, just no tab and no control of the lights. What if the breakout board died, would reef-pi refuse to display the controls under that failure?

Edit: I just got the first error in the logs.

Jul 09 15:28:30 Reef-Pi reef-pi[216]: 2018/07/09 15:28:30 ERROR: Failed to initi alize lighting subsystem
Jul 09 15:28:30 Reef-Pi reef-pi[216]: 2018/07/09 15:28:30 ERROR: Failed to load lighting sub-system. Error: remote I/O error
if the pca9685 board is not detected, then reef-pi will not load lighting tab, since its must have for dimming.
You can verify if pca9685 is loaded using i2c-detect command
Code:
sudo i2cdetect -y 1
https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/adafruit-16-channel-servo-driver-with-raspberry-pi.pdf
Check if pca9685 board is working.

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the pca9685 board is not detected, then reef-pi will not load lighting tab, since its must have for dimming.
You can verify if pca9685 is loaded using i2c-detect command
Code:
sudo i2cdetect -y 1
https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/adafruit-16-channel-servo-driver-with-raspberry-pi.pdf
Check if pca9685 board is working.

Ok, that was what I was thinking. From perusing the .pdf I am assuming that I need to install "i2c-tools" as the terminal returns
"sudo: i2cdetect: command not found".

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 12.5%
Back