I have no context for what this means

He sells snails for a living

I buy snails

He sends me nice clean snails. Sometimes he throws some extras in the bag

And I get the snails

Snails eat the crap in my tank

Not once has there been any deviation, in all these years

I just don't see what other service I should be expecting from him
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I tried him 3 times. His packaging for shipping was ridiculously substandard. I had dead livestock in dried up newspaper. After contacting him about his lack of quality and DOA, he wanted microscopic close up photos of the inside of these tiny dead snails to issue a refund of a few dollars. Just lousy customer service and quality. There are much better alternatives I discovered.

Solo McReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had dried up newspaper and dead animals with overnight shipping?

Or did you order them USPS?

I have never received a single dead animal from him

And that's with my point of view Is that CUCs are consumables

I take that back, maybe back when I ordered 100 of those tiny little black snails, and I got 150-200 instead. Some of those may have been dead on arrival. I don't remember their name off hand, the ones that climb up and out of the tank

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had dried up newspaper and dead animals with overnight shipping?

Or did you order them USPS?

I have never received a single dead animal from him

And that's with my point of view Is that CUCs are consumables

I take that back, maybe back when I ordered 100 of those tiny little black snails, and I got 150-200 instead. Some of those may have been dead on arrival. I don't remember their name off hand, the ones that climb up and out of the tank
2 day expedited shipping which they offered and said would be fine. It was off summer season so temps were mild.

It's not unexpected to get some dead ones when you order so you always get a few extra but the ridiculously poor shipping coupled with wanting detailed microscopic photos of each of the tiny snails inside shell was stupid.

Saltwateraquarium.com has better quality and size and each species is packaged separately in its only plastic tube container. Been very satisfied with them just ordered more too.

There's plenty of prior threads on here about reef cleaners poor quality and customer service.

Last edited:

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you use them for CUC and if it takes 2-4 days to ship would that be ok?
No need for me to chime in.

But I'll go ahead and throw in another thumbs up for reef cleaners. Been using Their service now for about 9 years. Always fantastic. I also live 4 hours north of them so shipping time is never an issue

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Agreed, nope. Got blacklisted by them after calling out high death rates in shipping.
Same. I would have considered John and myself friends. We texted often even about other things. I had one bad order from him and let it go. Had another immediately after and asked him about it and he got snippy. Blamed me for living where I have for 20 years and buying from him since he opened shop. Priority takes 2-3 days to me. Always has from him. Never been an issue. Until he started blaming them and not his changed packing and poor specimens. So I ordered UPS overnight and almost everything came dead. He blamed me again and got ticked I used PayPal because he doesn’t get the fees back when he refunds me. So I sent him $50 to cover the $10 in fees from 2 refunded orders. He never said anything about that and blacklisted me and locked my account. Hasn’t talked to me since.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place one or two orders per year and have never had an issue with communication or DOA replacement from John.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them because they are cheap, and they have fishless systems so I don't have to QT the inverts from there.
I had an incident about 8 months ago where nearly every fish I had got wiped out 3-4 days after adding cuc purchased from them. This was a well established tank with healthy adult size stock I had not added to for over a year. Tangs, angels etc.. all gone. Well over 2k worth of fish. I have no way of knowing that caused it but nothing was added prior to that. All fish were healthy and fat prior to that. Never any signs of disease. Never again for me.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t use them again. I ordered 10 dwarf Ceriths and got 10 tiny hermits in dwarf cerith shells. I emailed them FOUR times and they never addressed sending me the wrong CUC.
I’ve had good luck with saltwater aquarium and with Alyssa’s seahorse savvy.
I also got good CUC from Dr. Reefs.

SpyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if they were giving it away free
Much better vendors like saltwateraquarium.com for high quality cleaners.
Can you go into more detail? I only use reefcleaners and have for over a decade. What have been your concerns and why do you preder other vendors?

SCH14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last time I used them I ended up with velvet. Yes I know it’s extremely unlikely. At the time I had one fish in the tank for 3 months, ordered 100+ snails. 14” unicorn tang died within 3 days. Long story short I wouldn’t chance an order from them.

They offered no support afterwards and didn’t answer any of my questions about having velvet from the snails

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ReefCleaners whenever I need a cuc reload. The one time UPS really messed up and pretty much crushed the whole box, I got free replacements even paid for shipping .

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used them a few times and had good service. Always just ship USPS, I just had to cancel an order because he couldn't ship it due to current daytime temperature here (Arizona). Very responsible on their part. I will use them again.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I used them I ended up with velvet. Yes I know it’s extremely unlikely. At the time I had one fish in the tank for 3 months, ordered 100+ snails. 14” unicorn tang died within 3 days. Long story short I wouldn’t chance an order from them.

They offered no support afterwards and didn’t answer any of my questions about having velvet from the snails
Same happened to me. Wiped my entire tank out. I can only attribute it to that as nothing was added for a little over a year and I've never had velvet until I added the cuc I ordered from them. I wanna say it was around Sept/Oct of last year as I was still fallow through the Holidays.

SCH14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same happened to me. Wiped my entire tank out. I can only attribute it to that as nothing was added for a little over a year and I've never had velvet until I added the cuc I ordered from them. I wanna say it was around Sept/Oct of last year as I was still fallow through the Holidays.
Same here. Still battling to this day 6-8 months later or so. Went 85 days fallow and must have messed up somewhere as it came back. Had to copper the whole 310g display

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered a bunch of times through them and always USPS. only had one issue and it was all specific to OxTongue which all smelled like death. All the other stuff was fine. But I would not order USPS in this heat.

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwateraquarium.com has great quality cleaners and superb packaging.

This is who I used for the first time recently. I was very impressed.

All my local shops don’t keep inverts regularly. So I bit the bullet and tried Saltwateraquarium. I’ll definitely keep using them.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 109 29.1%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 154 41.2%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 95 25.4%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 16 4.3%
Back