Reefmat 500 troubleshooting help

aliens172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problem today with my reefmat 500, has been working great since June of last year, but just stopped working and is showing jammed, but there is no jam... When I clear the jam in the app and try to advance it manually, I get an "action failed" error message. Did you find a solution?
The motor burn out it just happen to red sea already replace the motor under warranty

rudrasreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problem today with my reefmat 500, has been working great since June of last year, but just stopped working and is showing jammed, but there is no jam... When I clear the jam in the app and try to advance it manually, I get an "action failed" error message. Did you find a solution?
Hi , I have the same issue in my reef Matt 1200.

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing it out there. Mines kept jamming and I found when I changed to new roll, I didn’t screw the new roll on tight (or the new roll ‘nut’ loosened over time) so then it would be slightly wider and bind with the motor and cause the motor not to turn or make it very hard to turn and jam. Took out the new roll and tighten the nut and works flawless again.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just throwing it out there. Mines kept jamming and I found when I changed to new roll, I didn’t screw the new roll on tight (or the new roll ‘nut’ loosened over time) so then it would be slightly wider and bind with the motor and cause the motor not to turn or make it very hard to turn and jam. Took out the new roll and tighten the nut and works flawless again.
This happened to me also. I have a 500 and a 1200. The 500 is on the feet and the 1200 hangs. Water level is identical for both, bout 3/4 of the return hose connection is under water.

I did a Darwin awards things recently. I am on the better side of dealing with Dinos, I was vacuuming for LCA dinos daily and had the Darwin of Darwin ideas. So when I started the process I put a 100 micron sock inside another 100 micron sock and clipped it to my sump. After about the 4th day of the sock falling into the sump, yes I did it, I decided to open my roller front, put the new fleece in the temp holder and put the sock in the center of the rollermat and use that to hold the sock and catch anything I missed. You would think this was a really crafty idea that I could figure out how to create a revenue stream with thus retiring early, right? Well, I did increase Red Sea's revenue stream, so I guess I was partial spot on. Apparently there is a lot of really fine particulate that makes it way through, like a mini sandblaster. SO, after about the 5th day of this I came home to see my 1200 spewing water from the sides ( 2 return pumps dump into this). When I checked it hadn't advanced in over a day (I guess I missed the alerts). For a couple days it would jam every couple hours. There was a layer of this fine grit everywhere, the motor being so under powered (me trying to blame someone other than myself here...) that it couldn't budge, when I would hold the button it would make a sound that I thought it was laughing at me. So I must have cut the used roll out, cleaned and restarted this multiple times. I had to order a new role only at about the halfway mark. It's currently soaking in the same stuff I use to maintenance my pumps with.

Adamsbrou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I contacted them today and they responded quickly and are sending a replacement motor. Great customer service, but a little disappointed that the product failed so quickly. Thanks for the response.
Looks like mine failed today did some
Trouble shooting and it seem it’s this drive motor everyone is talking about. Mine has lasted 9 months, I reached out to their support via the Redsea website, hopefully they are as responsive as they have been with the others in this thread.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like mine failed today did some
Trouble shooting and it seem it’s this drive motor everyone is talking about. Mine has lasted 9 months, I reached out to their support via the Redsea website, hopefully they are as responsive as they have been with the others in this thread.
Red Sea has its down falls but I’ve always gotten fast customer support from them. I’ll give them that.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me to the list. My 1200 motor just went out. Got a jam error. It wasn't jammed... The unit is powered up but the roller won't move by manually advancing it. With or without the roller in place. Ugggghh...

OP
OP
K

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like my reefmat 500 replacement motor just went out today, this one lasted 14 months with no media basket underneath, I will try to contact Red Sea to see if anything can be done. Anyone else have a replacement motor that stopped working?

danny_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is not a burnt out motor but a bad quality motor . At least, my opinion as an Electronic engineering. My reefmat overflowed without a mat error or motor movement. It´s 14months old, always well maintained..The app sends me a message "device busy" when i tried to move the Matt trough the app, pushing the buttons on the drive unit also results in no movement. Seemed the motor recieved drive voltage but it simply does not turn due to bad contact of the rotor contact springs inside , a known issue with low cost motors. Turning the motor manually after opening the unit solves the problem for a while until the motor reaches the same position and loses contact again, blocks and makes the software idle, waiting for the pulses from the other weel when the Matt advances. So for me a dual problem: bad motor quality but also a glitch in the software routine, something that a well known and reputated branch as RedSea should have foreseen in the motordrive routine. Pitty such a nice mechanical design fails like that.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 10.0%
Back