Refugium help

bruno21447

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new tank and need some help with my sump and ideas of how to put a refugium in it. I’m hoping with all the DIYers in here someone will have a good idea I can use. I have a skimz sumpro UP21 sump. As you can see in the pics I have the one chamber that has the return pump, the bigger chamber where my skimmer will be, and then the one that’s a top off chamber. I’m wondering what would be the best way to somehow put the Refugium where the skimmer is? If maybe put the skimmer on something that will raise it high enough to keep it out of the sand? Or will that give me problems with how the skimmer runs? Or using 2 pieces of acrylic and putting the skimmer in the corner and the acrylic around it? I’m not sure what would work best or if anyone has better idea? Thanks for any help.

IMG_6604.jpeg IMG_6603.jpeg

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have many options with that setup. It's not big enough to just filter with a refugium in place of the skimmer. Well you could if you only have a few fish, but most people over stock their tank. I think your only options are ATS , remote refugium, or lightly stocked refugium only. If it was my decision I would pull the skimmer buy a high powered adjustable refugium light(80w) and add fish slowly. Increase the light intensity and duration as needed until the light gets to 50% with a 12 hour lighting cycle. When nitrate or phosphate are detectable you know your near your limit. As your fish grow you will be able to increase the lighting intensity and duration to compensate. With this method you would be lightly stocked. This is the method I am using right now. Trace elements will be depleted by the algae growth and will need to be added. I haven't used a skimmer in over 7 years.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back