Removing a fish from copper

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought a red fairy wrasse at a fish store on my way home from Reefapalooza and the store owner said that it was in copper. My 20g quarantine doesn’t have copper in it and I usually prefer to just do observation or some simpler meds. However I do have a Hannah copper checker along with copper power and copper safe

How do I bring it down from the copper it is in from the bag? Also, another question, should I even bother quarantining it? The other fish in the tank looke alright… I think? I saw some other tanks that were sick tho

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I just bought a red fairy wrasse at a fish store on my way home from Reefapalooza and the store owner said that it was in copper. My 20g quarantine doesn’t have copper in it and I usually prefer to just do observation or some simpler meds

How do I bring it down from the copper it is in from the bag? Also, another question, should I even bother quarantining it? The other fish in the tank looke alright… I think? I saw some other tanks that were sick tho
If the fish was in copper for a short period of time it would mask anything it has but may not have eradicated it and this would lead to infection in your tank. How long had the fish been in copper? What level of copper? If not at therapeutic levels for at least 30 days this may lead to all sorts of issues. Unfortunately it would probably be best if you finish out the quarantine in copper to eliminate the possibility of whatever this fish has getting into your display tank.

The new fish on the block

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought a red fairy wrasse at a fish store on my way home from Reefapalooza and the store owner said that it was in copper. My 20g quarantine doesn’t have copper in it and I usually prefer to just do observation or some simpler meds. However I do have a Hannah copper checker along with copper power and copper safe

You don't need to worry about ramping down copper, it's ramping it up that needs to be done slowly.

I would quarantine if it were mine, but it is up to you to decide if it's worth the risk. IIRC, wrasses have relatively thick slime coats so you would have that going for you, however they often come in with internal parasites.

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish was in copper for a short period of time it would mask anything it has but may not have eradicated it and this would lead to infection in your tank. How long had the fish been in copper? What level of copper? If not at therapeutic levels for at least 30 days this may lead to all sorts of issues. Unfortunately it would probably be best if you finish out the quarantine in copper to eliminate the possibility of whatever this fish has getting into your display tank.
I don’t know as I just bought the fish (I should have asked) however from the looks of the tank, ect it has probably been in that copper for quite a while.
You don't need to worry about ramping down copper, it's ramping it up that needs to be done slowly.

I would quarantine if it were mine, but it is up to you to decide if it's worth the risk. IIRC, wrasses have relatively thick slime coats so you would have that going for you, however they often come in with internal parasites.
Yeah fair, and also it would be going into a 75 gallon with literally only a firefish and a couple saltwater mollies so the livestock loss potential is pretty low

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back