Removing AIO chambers on SR80

youdunnome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably posted the last time in the wrong forum.

I'm looking to remove the chambers in my SR80. I traded for this tank so I have no real investment into it. I want to drill the bottom for my overflow and back for my return. My plan is to use a 40 gallon breeder or a premade sump.

I think I'll enjoy the extra room and I'll have a cool lagoon.

Has anyone attempted this and if so how annoying or what should I look out for?

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did drill it. Prior to drilling, I called IM to ask if my specific model was tempered. They said no IM tank is tempered glass. I would call and verify prior to drilling tho.

My only suggestion is to keep constant water, very little pressure and start on an angle so the bit creates a guide. Once 1/16 into the pane, slightly adjust to level with the glass.
The last part to caution is the ending. You want the bit to cut the entire piece so once the water drains from the drilling, that’s a huge sign that your almost all the way through and to reduce the Already Light Pressure to less pressure.

GL, hope it helps or helps the following reader!

OP
OP
Y

youdunnome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did drill it. Prior to drilling, I called IM to ask if my specific model was tempered. They said no IM tank is tempered glass. I would call and verify prior to drilling tho.

My only suggestion is to keep constant water, very little pressure and start on an angle so the bit creates a guide. Once 1/16 into the pane, slightly adjust to level with the glass.
The last part to caution is the ending. You want the bit to cut the entire piece so once the water drains from the drilling, that’s a huge sign that your almost all the way through and to reduce the Already Light Pressure to less pressure.

GL, hope it helps or helps the following reader!
I have to drill with the tank standing up going to use a truck I learned while plumbing and drilling tile. Nice big sponge filled with water to help keep but cool! I have a template for the overflow as well. This will be my second tank I've drilled but the thickest glass I've drilled. Love your build!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • No.

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 6.3%
Back