requesting help on installing six stage Ro di

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm a little confused what the yellow hoses purpose versus the blue hoses. I thought the blue hose was going to be my end product water. But there's also a yellow hose and I had leakage on my first trial as the Yellow T outlet. scant diagrams not helping but show yellow should ultimately lead into the tank. But why would they go into a tank? I thought the blue hose was for the end product water, but the yellow hose appears to go into a tank, which would also be end product water? what would be the purpose of that T valve in first image where the yellow hose runs from the canister into a T valve and then I presume that would fit on the tank but then there is a second openening on the t valve and what's the purpose of the tank in the other hose I thought the blue hose is for the end product water, any advice somewhere to put the TDO meter? Thank you so much.
also, the final picture shows how I have red hose attached into the ti adapter from the an elastic waterline. It's just a small plastic white collar that I used to make the red hose snug. Should that be sufficient and safe? I appreciate any help I know I sound like a complete ignorant person, but I've never done an Ro di . system before

IMG_6445.jpeg IMG_6442.jpeg IMG_6446.jpeg IMG_6447.jpeg

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow hose is waste. An RO system works by passing water over a membrane under pressure. Pure water makes it through the membrane to the blue hose and concentrated brine with all the salts and impurities is rejected to the yellow waste line. It does not work like you imagine a typical filter that somehow traps all the salt and passes all the water through. So you will always have a trickle of waste water coming out of the yellow line which needs to be plumbed into a drain. I’m 90% sure the drain is the yellow, but you may want to test with your TDS meter. Between the yellow and blue, you will find water coming out of one of the lines is zero TDS and the other line will be extremely high TDS (waste).

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black hose is waste, notice its connected to the flush valve. Yellow hose goes to pressure tank. This stores r.o water(3 gal) before it goes through the di stage. (Blue line is for the tank) Once running it will be able to provide the 1st few gallons quickly before emptying the tank and production slows down to the speed of the membrane. A tee on this yellow line provides a outlet for drinking water, connect that to your fridge if you can.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought black was waste. does anything know how the connections go on this yellow T? im not sure what line goes in the open yellow T on the right. also why do i even need a tank. do i need a faucet connection?

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black hose is waste, notice its connected to the flush valve. Yellow hose goes to pressure tank. This stores r.o water(3 gal) before it goes through the di stage. (Blue line is for the tank) Once running it will be able to provide the 1st few gallons quickly before emptying the tank and production slows down to the speed of the membrane. A tee on this yellow line provides a outlet for drinking water, connect that to your fridge if you can.
so you saying the T where i have the yellow on one end and going to the tank, the other side of the T should have a blue line?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 20

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought black was waste. does anything know how the connections go on this yellow T? im not sure what line goes in the open yellow T on the right. also why do i even need a tank. do i need a faucet connection?
Do you want to have great drinking water for yourself and rodi for the aquarium or just rodi?

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you saying the T where i have the yellow on one end and going to the tank, the other side of the T should have a blue line?
No the other side of that tee is for drinking water, connect that to the line going to your icemaker. Or the faucet included in the kit for drinking water. You can't drink rodi, but ro makes great drinking water

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the misinformation. Looking again, @Reefering1 is correct about the black line being waste.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got things kind of figured out. But I would like sealant particularly where I drilled a hole into the bottom of the drain for the waste lineAnd other areas I see potential water leaks. . I don't think I got a really tight connection between the outflow blue line to faucet line.
can anyone recommend a good plumbing sealant? I did order Plumbing tape but would appreciate recommendations for what would be a good overall liquid sealant to use around the various connection so I make sure there's no water leakage about the connections while I'm not watching.
thanks, All. Last step is figuring how to get the TDI installed the TDI meter. It looks straightforward. I'm just not sure which canister to attach it to. I believe it goes onto the in and out canister. Does anyone know if the TDI meter goes on the same canister where it says " in " and " out" on each side of the canister? I.e., the TDI meter attaches to one specific canister, right? I thought it was the very last one.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, I did a test with my chlorine strips so fresh ro di had no chlorine checked against faucet water. But still next step is installing TDI meter and making sure to apply appropriate sealants.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the rodi kit come with one of these?
1000002156.jpg

It clamps around the pipe and has a adhesive pad that seals the drilled hole. Blue line connected to faucet..- is that how you plan on dispensing rodi for the tank, or drinking water?

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the rodi kit come with one of these?
1000002156.jpg

It clamps around the pipe and has a adhesive pad that seals the drilled hole. Blue line connected to faucet..- is that how you plan on dispensing rodi for the tank, or drinking water?
yes

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is anyone familiar with the TDS meters and which canister they connect to? i just want to be doubly sure. also any recommendations for a good plumber sealer?
I see plenty online, but I'm not sure what would be good one. My connection between the blue line going into the faucet line is just gonna dangle because I'm not attaching the faucet to the sink is really not a good connection either. And I don't have a way to close that connection. I'm not sure how to close the line. so for now, I have to use the little faucet that it came with because I have no way of closing out that line. It's a temporary situation until I figure out what part I can order to close that line that leads to the little Spicket that came with system because I have two lines one open blue line and the other blue line that goes to the Spicket/faucet. I need to know what part I can order to close the one line.

and any one have images of how you connected your TDS meter would be very much appreciated.

thanks all!

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, does anybody know what these little plastic inserts things are called to the right side of the image? I need to order some more because now I'm realizing I have to remove the blue line and the plastic coupler locks in the blue line but for me to take it out and probably gonna have to destroy that one. Little $.10 plastic thing, but I don't know what they're called or how to order them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Push that inward, then pull line out to remove
OK, but I actually need that collet/insert so I can use it for the other connection.
also, I was only given one elbow joint. And I need two of them not sure if I lost one or what and how to get another? like are these little things were using these elbow joints and nylon inserts are they off the shelf items we can buy somewhere,or they're very specialized?

image.jpg

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT AREA OF REEFING IS YOUR WEAKEST? EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWER IN THE COMMENTS!

• Chemistry and Nutrient Knowledge and Management.

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Disease and Pest Control.

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • Livestock Care.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Technology and Equipment Knowledge.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 16 20.0%
Back