Reset tank

Kyleovski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if I should reset my tank or not. I’ve had a realllllly bad aiptasia outbreak, as in every visible piece of rock work, the overflow etc anll have aiptasia on it. I have tried filefish which worked some what for a while until it went after LPS. Tried berghia nudibranch for several months. Not sure if I’d just be better off with resetting the tank, new rock new sand bed etc.

Current rock work is about 1-2 years old as some came from a old breakdown on my last tank.

Pic of my aiptasia farm
IMG_2821.jpeg

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO but I would do as @Gumbies R Us is suggesting and Aiptasia X everything weekly until it's died down quite a bit.

With the size tank you have, this is something I think you can manually get a handle on and then potentially reintroduce a filefish, nudibranch, or peppermint shrimp for ongoing assistance.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't used Aiptasia X before, it's a great product, especially for a tank of your size.

I'd at least give that a whirl before you restart..... That is unless you just want to restart cause you want a new journey, in which case go for it :D

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cannot recommend enough...get a klein butterfly fish! wiped mine out after 2 weeks! just be ready to rehome it, when your 100% sure it's all gone. I tried many file fish, nothing...cant do shrimp due to other fish, and berghia work, until they all die, then the aptsasia comes back.

ZLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a similar experience in a biocube32. I've tried 3 peppermint shrimp that did nothing at all, I added 10 berghia nudibranchs and they cleared a small area and then seem to have died off or something, I have a filefish in there now, he picks at the aiptasia, but not enough to get the outbreak under control.

Suggestions here are to use aiptasia x, in my experience, I strongly disagree with this recommendation. Aiptasia x might work on an occasional aiptasia, but only if you actually get it good with the liquid. If you miss or don't actually kill it, it will absolutely explode in your tank and you'll have a full on aiptasia infestation on your hands like me. They cover every rock near the top of the scape, they're on snails, they're in the sand, but the tipping point for me was having aiptasia infested in the back chambers of my aio. This convinced me that nothing I add to the tank will get to those back there and today I went and bought a used tank. I write this now as I sit down and partake in a Colorado bouquet preparing to go fully nuke my biocube and restart. I will never use Aiptasia X again. Good luck to you.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back