Restarting my my Waterbox AIO 50.3 with Ultra Live Sand

Obriy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first saltwater tank in January. Coming from freshwater aquarium-keeping, I decided to take on new challenge. So, Waterbox AIO seemed to be an optimal size as 36-inch was a perfect length and AIO is considered a quieter option to having a sump (the tank is in a master bedroom and low noise levels are very high priority).
Here is what led to my initial failure:
- Started with dry rock and practically dry sand
- After reading about importance of refugium for the export of nutrients, I decided to add Chaeto to one of AIO chambers after nitrate levels reached 10. The refugium worked very well and Chaeto grew very fast, which made me happy at first...
- I didn't use QT back then and introduced a royal gramma with some sort of disease that killed 4 out of my 6 fish within 2 weeks around the same time Chaeto was added into the refugium. I started to feed less with only two clowns alive in my tank and my nitrates went to zero much faster than I expected.
- When I first saw brown dusting on my sand and rock, I mistook it for diatoms and thought it was a normal part of ugly phase and would disappear in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, those were SCA.
I dosed silicates for two months without any decrease in dino presence and realized that it might be easier to re-start my tank completely than to continue fighting.

I decided to start with real live rock first and KP Aquatics was my first-choice supplier. After contacting them about pick-up options (I live in South Florida), they even offered to meet me along their route to an airport where they bring their orders. However, just several days later, I stumbled upon a BRSTV video from Reeafpalooza New York called "Want an Easy, Epic Tank? The 9 Core Reefing Principles | PT 2 Perfect Is the Enemy of Great" where Ryan talked about advantages of using real live sand. That changed my mind and, after doing some additional research, my new plan was developed, which consisted of the following:
- Use Marco rock for aquascape
- Use Tampa Bay Saltwater Ultra Live Sand for biome cycling
- Ambient lights for first 4 weeks
- All fish I purchase must go through newly set QT.

Let's see if my plan works...

OP
OP
Obriy

Obriy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 60lb of Marco Rock from BRS and, thankfully, they sent me pieces exactly as I specified in a note attached to my order. Thank you, BRS, you've made my life a bit easier. The rocks were small enough to be broken with a small chisel, but still large enough so that many of pieces came out in quite unique shapes.
I broke rocks inside a small cardboard box, jut big enough to fit the largest rock. That way, there was much less mess around a work area and rocks are much easier to be kept in desired position during chiseling.

Attachments

• Aq-sc 1a.jpg
    Aq-sc 1a.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Aq-sc 1.jpg
    Aq-sc 1.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Obriy

Obriy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it's time to aquascape! I've decided to use "super glue with sand (crushed marco rock in this case)" technique for most of connections and reinforce some of more difficult connections with epoxy. The most challenging part today was crushing rubbles to get powder-like substance that I'm using instead of sand. It looks better because it matches with the rock both color and texture, but the crushing process was very messy.

Super glue is quite toxic, and I had to work on my balcony in 92F (welcome to Florida :)
Aq-sc 2.jpg

The whole aquascape is going to be divided into three structures to make it easier to remove them from the tank if there is such a need future. Also, I'm trying to make a gap between two rocks to resemble some of the gaps in coral structures I've seen during diving.
Aq-sc 3.jpg

Zeeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I've been cycling my tank for a few months with dry rock and live ocean sand and it's going well, but it's still been a little slower than in the past when I started a tank with live ocean rock from Fiji about 15 years ago. I think if I were you I might still consider getting a few pounds of rock from KP aquatics to help seed the system.

OP
OP
Obriy

Obriy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I've been cycling my tank for a few months with dry rock and live ocean sand and it's going well, but it's still been a little slower than in the past when I started a tank with live ocean rock from Fiji about 15 years ago. I think if I were you I might still consider getting a few pounds of rock from KP aquatics to help seed the system.
What sand did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascaping is looking good. Glad to see you started a build thread. I ordered my sand and supposed to be here towards the end of the month.

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always pick up some of KP's reef rubble and throw it in the back chamber or use it as small 'island' pieces. I have some of the regular rock in my tank and its beautiful while also providing some extra biodiversity

Dipolyps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first saltwater tank in January. Coming from freshwater aquarium-keeping, I decided to take on new challenge. So, Waterbox AIO seemed to be an optimal size as 36-inch was a perfect length and AIO is considered a quieter option to having a sump (the tank is in a master bedroom and low noise levels are very high priority).
Here is what led to my initial failure:
- Started with dry rock and practically dry sand
- After reading about importance of refugium for the export of nutrients, I decided to add Chaeto to one of AIO chambers after nitrate levels reached 10. The refugium worked very well and Chaeto grew very fast, which made me happy at first...
- I didn't use QT back then and introduced a royal gramma with some sort of disease that killed 4 out of my 6 fish within 2 weeks around the same time Chaeto was added into the refugium. I started to feed less with only two clowns alive in my tank and my nitrates went to zero much faster than I expected.
- When I first saw brown dusting on my sand and rock, I mistook it for diatoms and thought it was a normal part of ugly phase and would disappear in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, those were SCA.
I dosed silicates for two months without any decrease in dino presence and realized that it might be easier to re-start my tank completely than to continue fighting.

I decided to start with real live rock first and KP Aquatics was my first-choice supplier. After contacting them about pick-up options (I live in South Florida), they even offered to meet me along their route to an airport where they bring their orders. However, just several days later, I stumbled upon a BRSTV video from Reeafpalooza New York called "Want an Easy, Epic Tank? The 9 Core Reefing Principles | PT 2 Perfect Is the Enemy of Great" where Ryan talked about advantages of using real live sand. That changed my mind and, after doing some additional research, my new plan was developed, which consisted of the following:
- Use Marco rock for aquascape
- Use Tampa Bay Saltwater Ultra Live Sand for biome cycling
- Ambient lights for first 4 weeks
- All fish I purchase must go through newly set QT.

Let's see if my plan works...
Great, I also had a second thought but feels good to be back.

Zeeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sand did you use, if you don't mind me asking?
I collected it myself offshore and ran it through 1 and 2 mm bonsai sieves to get a similar particle size to Special Grade, then I dark cured it in natural sea water for 4 months while waiting on my tank to get built.

cartery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ideo from Reeafpalooza New York called "Want an Easy, Epic Tank? The 9 Core Reefing Principles | PT 2 Perfect Is the Enemy of Great"
I saw the same video and was inspired by it, too. I saw that the TBS people are actually on here and messaged them for tips. They were very adamant that sand-only cycling was not a good idea. And they actually have a doc on their website that describes how they'd cycle a tank.

Have you started your plan yet? The TBS people convinced me to plan to get at least some of their base rock with their sand

Back