SBB- Father’s Day Clearance Coral sale!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 22, Members: 13, Guests: 9)

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up... need to clarify. So FL has to check and verify your home tank isn't stocked from your backyard??
I mean theres plenty of hobbyists that do swaps and what not. The bigger concern is Containment of non-native species considering the FL ecosystem is being decimated by non-native foliage and reptiles (snakes and iguanas). Absolutely decimated. Not to mention scorpion fish and the damage theyve done to the reefs.

It also opens the door to wholesalers.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean theres plenty of hobbyists that do swaps and what not. The bigger concern is Containment of non-native species considering the FL ecosystem is being decimated by non-native foliage and reptiles (snakes and iguanas). Absolutely decimated. Not to mention scorpion fish and the damage theyve done to the reefs.

It also opens the door to wholesalers.
Who woulda thought.....easier to sell weed than coral.

6t4nova

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I just had FL dpt of agriculture leave, did my site inspection today, since theres living reef a few miles of my house they take it a little more serious.

My LFS do pretty good on store credit, issue is trying to find what product to buy and resell without taking a further hit. You should be able to sustain your operating costs pretty easily with a stable tank and a good relationship with LFS.
How do they know you have tanks set up at your house? Do you have a wholesale license or something?

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a full reef system under one of the bridges here, its a legit park.

From the keys to west palm beach is reefs from 30-100ft of water. Not great barrier quality by any stretch but ya get the idea

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they know you have tanks set up at your house? Do you have a wholesale license or something?
Technically you could get in trouble for selling coral even as a hobbyist, by the Dept of Agriculture and/or Florida Fish and Wildlife. They dont know, but if youre selling coral, you need a buyer, be it R2R, offerup or FB you gota find em somewhere. Theres been posts of them cracking down on hobbyists in the past.

Most dont go this route, i did it as i am interested in eventually hitting frag swaps and selling online. I also want to be able to check out the wholesalers, and it was an extremely simple process.

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Technically you could get in trouble for selling coral even as a hobbyist, by the Dept of Agriculture and/or Florida Fish and Wildlife. They dont know, but if youre selling coral, you need a buyer, be it R2R, offerup or FB you gota find em somewhere. Theres been posts of them cracking down on hobbyists in the past.

Most dont go this route, i did it as i am interested in eventually hitting frag swaps and selling online. I also want to be able to check out the wholesalers, and it was an extremely simple process.
So I can be in trouble for sending care packages

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can be in trouble for sending car packages
Youre not a resident so nope. Again, i dont think theyd beat someone up with 5 frags in some tick cups. But on your way to a frag swap with $10k in a cooler, and another $10k on your website prolly wouldn't be ideal.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they mean if you live in Florida. They don't want people taking things from their beaches and water without license.
That, but i also live near a canal. The lady cited an example "if the canal turns pink, snd youre maintaining your records, its easy for us to write you off as a reason". We have alot of algal blooms and other issues as it is. They just want to know whats what, i dont have a commercial farm or operation by any means but it was $100 and a few papers to be in compliance.

6t4nova

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Makes sense and don't blame ya for going that route.

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@banik and @6t4nova huge!
20240619_125621.jpg

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they mean if you live in Florida. They don't want people taking things from their beaches and water without license.
FWC manages that, and you can actually look at what is harvestable recreationally the same as catching a mahi or snapper.

I think all stony coral is off-limits. They seem mostly concerned with containment of non-native species and contamination of water with waste water/chemicals.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • My coral

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%

Back