Several fish flashing, should I be worried?

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes wrasse “flash” diving for food. Even a regular scratch now and again doesn’t always mean flukes. Ich usually doesn’t cause scratching.
The fish are still in hypo, right? What is the current salinity?
They are still in hypo, yes. Salinity today is ~1.0092. I was measuring salinity daily, but I don't any more as it doesn't seem to change. I have an ATO that seems to be doing its job. It does fluctuate in the 4th decimal digit a tad (the '2' in today's measurement) but has never hit 1.010 to my knowledge.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still in hypo, yes. Salinity today is ~1.0092. I was measuring salinity daily, but I don't any more as it doesn't seem to change. I have an ATO that seems to be doing its job. It does fluctuate in the 4th decimal digit a tad (the '2' in today's measurement) but has never hit 1.010 to my knowledge.

I'd say this is just idiopathic scratching then, very few flukes species can survive full hyposalinity like that. I'd say that NONE can, but there is a species of brackish water fluke that might be able to, but it is rarely seen in pet trade fish.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Formosa is disappearing or sleeping earlier than it used to. Around 4-5pm now instead of 8pm. I see one white spot on his fin, not sure if it is a concern. It is still active and eating in the morning.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Formosa is disappearing or sleeping earlier than it used to. Around 4-5pm now instead of 8pm. I see one white spot on his fin, not sure if it is a concern. It is still active and eating in the morning.

Looks like it could be just a broken fin ray.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's barely moving now. Hides for most of the day. Didn't eat just now when I fed.
Can you post a new video? The one from two days ago didn’t show any issues.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a new video? The one from two days ago didn’t show any issues.
Didn't see him again until he turned up dead. I've begun raising the salinity after the 35 days and I'm not sure the treatment worked. I see some spots on one of the clowns when he swims under the light. Only 5 fish remaining so if anything I'll just QT them..

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back