Show me your electronic boards and cord management!

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a serious mess of cords and switch boxes that have gone too long without proper organization. I’m finally giving in and will be making a couple boards for them. Show me what you got for some inspiration please!

I will also be integrating separate GFCI outlets for each submerged electronic. I have been avoiding GFCI because it has always seemed to me like too great a risk to the tank to have a single GFCI with the ability to shut down the entire system if one thing shorts out. Yes, I know the risk to my wellbeing should be higher priority! I use an apex controller with 16 outlets. My idea is to mount GFCI outlets to my board for each outlet on the apex, then wire the back of the outlets into the apex energy bar outlets. The apex will plug into a non-GFCI wall outlet. So if something trips a GFCI it will only shut off power to the faulty device, and my apex will still have power so I will be notified the device is no longer drawing electricity and can investigate. Does this sound reasonable?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect any reefer worth their salt has a similar situation to you... a rat nest of cables pushed out of sight. lol
Honestly though, nicely trained cables are a challenge in this game. The second i'd have everything laid perfectly a pump would go or a reactor would have to be employed. So instead I just stuck with the out of sight out of mind.

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also interested in the GFCI situation. I've got everything plugged into a regular wall outlet. Hmm...
I’ve been doing the same for almost 10 years. After reading more and understanding that I’m literally putting my life at risk anytime I stick my hand in the tank, I’ve decided it needs to get done. I have kids to worry about too now, which certainly changed my perspective on taking unnecessary risks.

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing the same for almost 10 years. After reading more and understanding that I’m literally putting my life at risk anytime I stick my hand in the tank, I’ve decided it needs to get done. I have kids to worry about too now, which certainly changed my perspective on taking unnecessary risks.
I've been looking into GFCI strips, since I can't change the electrical outlets at my office.

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking into GFCI strips, since I can't change the electrical outlets at my office.
Ya, I’m not going to change my wall outlet either. Essentially I’ll be building my own GFCI strip by splicing extension cords to the back of the outlets which I can then plug into each outlet of my apex. Sort of like this, but the outlets will be mounted to a board with wires hidden behind it.

IMG_5494.jpeg

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pretty big system (600 gallon peninsula) so I have 2 separate outlets on different circuits which my tank is connected to. The first thing I do before anything else is install GFCI outlets. Water and electricity don't mix, especially if I am added to the mix. My life is not worth risking.

20240916_162951.jpg

Anyways I have used false doors in the past with equipment underneath a stand. Now all my equipment is on a back wall and the cords are behind a false wall so to speak with spaces between the boards to hide and run the cords. Its a rats nest but mostly hidden. I agree with the above poster. In and out equipment goes and its a pain but better then looking at a rats nest all the time.

20240916_162718.jpg

20240916_162815.jpg

20240916_162903.jpg

20240916_162854.jpg

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty big system (600 gallon peninsula) so I have 2 separate outlets on different circuits which my tank is connected to. The first thing I do before anything else is install GFCI outlets. Water and electricity don't mix, especially if I am added to the mix. My life is not worth risking.

20240916_162951.jpg

Anyways I have used false doors in the past with equipment underneath a stand. Now all my equipment is on a back wall and the cords are behind a false wall so to speak with spaces between the boards to hide and run the cords. Its a rats nest but mostly hidden. I agree with the above poster. In and out equipment goes and its a pain but better then looking at a rats nest all the time.

20240916_162718.jpg

20240916_162815.jpg

20240916_162903.jpg

20240916_162854.jpg
Ohh, I like that a lot! Very nice way to hide the mess without clipping every single cord down perfectly which seems impractical…

jonelder68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for as it’s a basement “fish room” set up. Here’s my control board/cabinet I made. DIY extensions to outlets above equipment for easy unplugging/removal when needed vs having to snake cords in and out of cabinet. Still adding equipment etc. and still needs some organizing.
IMG_7101.jpeg
IMG_7016.jpeg

Power strip for everything constant power while the apex controls what’s needed. Peg board allows easy mounting of items and cord routing clamps.

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for as it’s a basement “fish room” set up. Here’s my control board/cabinet I made. DIY extensions to outlets above equipment for easy unplugging/removal when needed vs having to snake cords in and out of cabinet. Still adding equipment etc. and still needs some organizing.
IMG_7101.jpeg
IMG_7016.jpeg

Power strip for everything constant power while the apex controls what’s needed. Peg board allows easy mounting of items and cord routing clamps.
That is awesome! Very helpful actually, as I have the same situation. Did you fabricate the metal box yourself? Who did the laser stenciling work?

Would be perfect for my basement fish room:
IMG_5436.jpeg

jonelder68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome! Very helpful actually, as I have the same situation. Did you fabricate the metal box yourself? Who did the laser stenciling work?

Would be perfect for my basement fish room:
IMG_5436.jpeg
Yes I built the box and the “sign” part. Have a plasma table at work luckily so get to fabricate all kinds of cool stuff.

Ah basement sump like me! Ya I hadn’t found much references for a basement sump so I totally just winged it. Slowly came up with what I have. My biggest thought was clean install but more importantly easy maintenance. Silly things like Velcro straps vs zip ties etc. hopefully be operational soon and we’ll see how many of my ideas I later disapprove with

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
1726540078362.png

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I built the box and the “sign” part. Have a plasma table at work luckily so get to fabricate all kinds of cool stuff.

Ah basement sump like me! Ya I hadn’t found much references for a basement sump so I totally just winged it. Slowly came up with what I have. My biggest thought was clean install but more importantly easy maintenance. Silly things like Velcro straps vs zip ties etc. hopefully be operational soon and we’ll see how many of my ideas I later disapprove with
Nice! Designing your own is the way to go. Every space is different. Figuring out the best layout for you and lego building the plumbing is half the fun. Mine has evolved quite a bit over the years to what it is now. Started with just the sump down there and grew out from that to include the fuge and shelving, then a salt mixing and storage station, and now a small lab/work bench. Slowly but surely I am taking over the laundry room now, and that is my wife’s domain so I need to tread carefully :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I will have to go follow your build thread. I’m interested to see how yours comes along!

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best picture but I made 2 of these to plug into a regular outlet to add gfci protection. I’ll not have 8 outlets under my stand to plug into. I ordered 6’ cord extensions off Amazon and built my own boxes with weather resistant outlets, gfcis and weather proof boxes and covers. Figured all that would help it last longer in the salt environment.

Attachments

• IMG_4084.jpeg
    IMG_4084.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 26

buzzfin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My builder installed GFCI protection into every circuit in my house. From a safety perspective, it's great. Having said that, it puts my entire tank at the mercy of that one GFCI which will most likely fail at some point. Hopefully in that situation, my battery backup keeps the pump and power heads running until I can intervene.... and God willing I'm not on vacation when it happens!

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other option available is a GFCI breaker for your fuse box. My tank's power source is challenging to get to and while i made it happen eventually i'd definitely take this route next time

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back