Show me your electronic boards and cord management!

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other option available is a GFCI breaker for your fuse box. My tank's power source is challenging to get to and while i made it happen eventually i'd definitely take this route next time
Sounds like something I will definitely not be able to mess with. Afraid if it's not something I can plug into a wall outlet, it's off the list. I'll make a new thread soon with some schematics of what I can do.

jonelder68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like something I will definitely not be able to mess with. Afraid if it's not something I can plug into a wall outlet, it's off the list. I'll make a new thread soon with some schematics of what I can do.
Installing/replacing a breaker is a super easy task. Nothing to be afraid of. Kill the main breaker if you’re concerned.

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing/replacing a breaker is a super easy task. Nothing to be afraid of. Kill the main breaker if you’re concerned.
Unfortunately, it's a leased office building, and I have zero authority to touch or modify anything. I'm thinking of some of the plug-in GFCI adapters. Have to read more about them, though.

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it's a leased office building, and I have zero authority to touch or modify anything. I'm thinking of some of the plug-in GFCI adapters. Have to read more about them, though.
I would look into making my own instead of buying one of the plug in ones. That way you can put the outlets wherever you want and can make plugging things in easier. I plan on putting mine underneath the stand and then not have to run multiple things to an outlet outside the stand somewhere. This also works better for me because my outlet is hard to reach and if I used a plug-in type or changed out the outlet for a gfci outlet it would be hard to get to reset it if it tripped.

How I made mine is I bought these 6’ extension cords and cut off the end and wired them to a gfci outlet inside a weatherproof box and cover.

I made two of these boxes which gives me the added benefit that each is on its own gfci so if something trips, it doesn’t take out everything, just what’s connected to that box. I can strategically put things on both boxes to protect the tank from completely shutting down. For instance wave makers on one and return pump on the other. Main heater on one and backup on the other.
It adds some redundancy to my system.

image.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also interested in the GFCI situation. I've got everything plugged into a regular wall outlet. Hmm...

"Hmmmm..." is right.

Yes, I saw a post on here more than three years ago that scared me enough to install GFCI.

I just wired one up in a box with a length of cord and a plug. Works great and its portable too!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I’m not going to change my wall outlet either. Essentially I’ll be building my own GFCI strip by splicing extension cords to the back of the outlets which I can then plug into each outlet of my apex. Sort of like this, but the outlets will be mounted to a board with wires hidden behind it.

IMG_5494.jpeg
Nice! The one I made is only a single.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty big system (600 gallon peninsula) so I have 2 separate outlets on different circuits which my tank is connected to. The first thing I do before anything else is install GFCI outlets. Water and electricity don't mix, especially if I am added to the mix. My life is not worth risking.

20240916_162951.jpg

Anyways I have used false doors in the past with equipment underneath a stand. Now all my equipment is on a back wall and the cords are behind a false wall so to speak with spaces between the boards to hide and run the cords. Its a rats nest but mostly hidden. I agree with the above poster. In and out equipment goes and its a pain but better then looking at a rats nest all the time.

20240916_162718.jpg

20240916_162815.jpg

20240916_162903.jpg

20240916_162854.jpg

This is a work of art!

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had 6 circuits added recently for my tank and fish room. I chose not to have any GFCIs on anything. I’ve had them in the past have lots of false trips. I had all the outlets pointed at 6’ 6” mark. While I am not using GGCIs, I am being intentional with how I run the electric in my room. I am trying to find raceways that will work for what I want to do.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I’m not going to change my wall outlet either. Essentially I’ll be building my own GFCI strip by splicing extension cords to the back of the outlets which I can then plug into each outlet of my apex. Sort of like this, but the outlets will be mounted to a board with wires hidden behind it.

IMG_5494.jpeg
Called a “Jump Box,” by the Trades. Violates many Codes. Hopefully you won’t have a Fire, that your insurance will try to use this as an excuse, to deny your claim. Just get a GFCI Plug in module or short corded GFCI, and a Surge Strip from a Hardware.

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Basic and easy. Hides all the power bricks

Not sure where your power bricks are but if they are behind a false wall I would caution against that. I had all my power bricks behind a false wall on my last build and they would get hotter than normal. This ended up lowering the longevity of my power supplies and I had to end up replacing a couple after some time.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back