Show Us Your T-Slot Aluminum Stands !

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2563.jpeg

This is the stand for my 310g, I had Alufab design and manufacture it for me. There are corner braces that wernt on in the first picture

IMG_2637.jpeg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to order a second stand myself.

BillFish Coral Lover

Most Excellent Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build in process. T-slot all the way. Mine is from Framing Tech. 45/45. 40”x21”x35. With leveling casters (yes, leveling casters that you can use to move, then set down and level the tank), add about 3.5”, plus the top, and it’ll be about 39”.

Salt spray, schmalt spray. Let’s see how wood holds up to it - oh, yeah, it doesn’t! That’s why I got t-slot. My last stand, though solidly built of real wood, sagged and looked terrible after 12 years. This will hold up forever. Literally. And look good while doing it.

Oh, and if I want to change to a larger tank, parts of it will be usable on the new stand. If I go deeper only, the lengths and uprights will work. Longer only, only the long rails need to come out. And even if I go longer and deeper, the height and light rack profiles will still work on the new stand. Try that with wood.

The long profiles on the bottom of the stack are light rack. No suspending from the ceiling, just the stand itself, like a floating canopy. They will also support my back panel.

Thanks for asking. I’m loving the pictures you guys are posting, too!

IMG_3740.jpeg
IMG_3733.jpeg

BillFish Coral Lover

Most Excellent Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H everybody!
1. Tank is 48 x 36 x 27 (200gal)
2. I bought my extrusion from 80/20. i used their ebay shop and cut them by myself .For screws, gussets, brackets i used tnutz.com.
3. Top and legs are made of 15/30 extrusion, for bottom i used 15/15
4. I'm very happy with end result.
5.it is fresh built so so far no corrosion.
6.No racking at all. I use 2 Gyro 250 to move the water .
7. Worth the money. Still cant figure out how to "skin" it. I would love to it will looks like Red Sea stand.
Check your inbox for pm.

Last edited:

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a really great thread to read. I was wondering if anyone could provide input on adding a horizontal beam down the middle of my Waterbox ALU4820 stand. Was wondering if it would be frowned upon or if it could possibly provide some additional structural integrity. Have a few extra pieces of T slot so just was curious.
I highlighted the additional beams I was considering adding. Appreciate your time and input.

IMG_2720.jpeg
IMG_2722.jpeg
IMG_2723.png

If you do this, ensure it is definitely not higher than the front and back pieces of t-slot, as the tank could then potentially not be supported across it's full front to back dimension and be able to rock slightly. (This would put too much pressure on the bottom pane of glass along it's centre.) You can do it, as long as you ensure it is not higher.

Doc’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do this, ensure it is definitely not higher than the front and back pieces of t-slot, as the tank could then potentially not be supported across it's full front to back dimension and be able to rock slightly. (This would put too much pressure on the bottom pane of glass along it's centre.) You can do it, as long as you ensure it is not higher.
Thank you for your reply. Yes thanks for pointing that out, that was my thought as well. I’ve made sure to keep it slightly lower and my hopeful intent was to help with overall stand stability.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. Yes thanks for pointing that out, that was my thought as well. I’ve made sure to keep it slightly lower and my hopeful intent was to help with overall stand stability.
If you want to stiffen the stand, 45 degree braces on the legs are you best option for that. A horizontal brace will allow it to hold more weight but won’t actually stiffen it much. These are the 45’s on my stand

Attachments

• IMG_2637.jpeg
    IMG_2637.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 13

Doc’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to stiffen the stand, 45 degree braces on the legs are you best option for that. A horizontal brace will allow it to hold more weight but won’t actually stiffen it much. These are the 45’s on my stand
Thanks you for the recommendation, I’ll try that out as well!
To attach this do I just use a small piece of aluminum t slot and attach it with a corner gusset?
Thanks!
IMG_2735.jpeg

IMG_2736.jpeg

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you for the recommendation, I’ll try that out as well!
To attach this do I just use a small piece of aluminum t slot and attach it with a corner gusset?
Thanks!
IMG_2735.jpeg

IMG_2736.jpeg
I personally like this type better which uses a piece of extrusion cut at 45 degree angles. Since your stand is already assembled you will want drop in t-nuts that have a ball detent (I included a picture)
IMG_2715.png
IMG_2716.jpeg

Doc’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to reply and the feedback. Would that item you posted a link to work on 2020 aluminum T slot? I wasn’t sure what the 80/20 represented? I could not find a 45 degree 2020 precut piece so I wasn’t t sure if this was a universal fit.
Thanks for your help!

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to reply and the feedback. Would that item you posted a link to work on 2020 aluminum T slot? I wasn’t sure what the 80/20 represented? I could not find a 45 degree 2020 precut piece so I wasn’t t sure if this was a universal fit.
Thanks for your help!

Tnuts website is usually muchhhhh cheaper for sourcing t slotted stuff fyi

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help!
80/20 refers to the cross sectional dimensions in millimetres. 80mm x 20 mm.

DO YOU PRIORITIZE YOUR TANK AFTER A LONG DAY?

• Yes, my tank helps me with day-to-day stress relief.

Votes: 61 40.9%
  • Yes, even if I don't feel like it.

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • It depends on the day.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • No, I'll try to save my "tank work" for a different day.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back