Silver surfer monti growth tips soft and fragile

metalruebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I have a problem with my silver surfer montipora, growth tips are very soft and the tissue dissolves. All parameters are in check, all other corals are in good shape. Only the tips on the top have that Problem. PAR is around 250, since a year.

I really don't know why only this coral has that problem. Every other monti ist growing like a weed in my tank. Has anyone experienced something similar with that coral?

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I have a problem with my silver surfer montipora, growth tips are very soft and the tissue dissolves. All parameters are in check, all other corals are in good shape.

I really don't know why only this coral has that problem. Every other monti ist growing like a weed in my tank. Has anyone experienced something similar with that coral?
Po4 number?

If fact, all parameters. And pics in white light please.

OP
OP
M

metalruebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 is around 0.06-0.08, nitrates 2-5. Alk 8, Calcium 430, Magnesium 1390. Salinity 33-34. PH isnt a problem with my CO2 Scrubber either. Pics follow.

OP
OP
M

metalruebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000003126.jpg
1000003124.jpg
1000003122.jpg

OP
OP
M

metalruebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow didnt change much, the montis grow and then there are long periods where the tips on the top have this condition. Eventually they bounce back and grow again. But the period of the dissolving tips takes months now. I really dunno whats causing it. I bumped the light a bit in the last two months but slowly. And this condition did also happen in lower light.

It baffles me how all the other montipora digitata have totally fine tips, just these two frags have problems.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow didnt change much, the montis grow and then there are long periods where the tips on the top have this condition. Eventually they bounce back and grow again. But the period of the dissolving tips takes months now.
Hmmm, nothing changes? Are you testing when things are good and when things are bad? No correlation?

OP
OP
M

metalruebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test regugarly no matter what. The only thing i cranked up a bit is light. I measured again today and in fact its about 300 PAR on the tips. I decrease lighting now a bit and see if it changes... it's a shame because my acros are enjoying the light

OP
OP
M

metalruebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i solved the riddle, tips are recovering. I decreased white light, PAR now about 250 and bumped the flow. Growth tips start to look healthy again, when i get my turkey baster and blast the tips, flesh is no longer falling off. Thanks for starting my brainstorming process dude!

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i solved the riddle, tips are recovering. I decreased white light, PAR now about 250 and bumped the flow. Growth tips start to look healthy again, when i get my turkey baster and blast the tips, flesh is no longer falling off. Thanks for starting my brainstorming process dude!
Glad it's recovering!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • No.

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 6.3%
Back