Single Frag Rocks

Reefguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using frag rocks like those pictured below when mounting coral in my tanks. It adds a fair amount of stability to each piece of coral. I got a bunch of them years ago and cannot remember where I got them, but I am starting to run low. They look like these:

Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 10.19.15 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 10.18.54 PM.png

I found and purchased these Tideline rocks:

Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 10.17.21 PM.png

But I took them out because they started to sort of fall apart and disintegrate after being in the water for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know where I can find something like the frag mount rocks in the first two pictures? I am not sure what they are made of, but they look and feel like rock, and I have been using them for years in SPS tanks without issue.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I'm gonna preface with I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! Cool, that being said, can you break apart some existing rock you already have and just drill it out?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like these personally, but may not be what you are looking for:

Maybe these:

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using frag rocks like those pictured below when mounting coral in my tanks. It adds a fair amount of stability to each piece of coral. I got a bunch of them years ago and cannot remember where I got them, but I am starting to run low. They look like these:

But I took them out because they started to sort of fall apart and disintegrate after being in the water for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know where I can find something like the frag mount rocks in the first two pictures? I am not sure what they are made of, but they look and feel like rock, and I have been using them for years in SPS tanks without issue.

That's weird, my girlfriend has been using the tideline rocks for months and they are golding together. I wonder if you just got a bad batch?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I'm gonna preface with I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! Cool, that being said, can you break apart some existing rock you already have and just drill it out?
I ordered a couple 8 pound boxes from TBS just for this. I predrilled them and keep them in the sump till needed. Frags really seem to take off on them and no more crusty fingers.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like these personally, but may not be what you are looking for:

Maybe these:

I need to look into those frag coral mounts!

OP
OP
Reefguy88

Reefguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this is always an option. That said, I am REALLY bad at it. I have done it a few times with limited success. I'll get a couple usable rocks with plug holes, but then I end up blasting through others and am left with a bunch of rubble.

OP
OP
Reefguy88

Reefguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's weird, my girlfriend has been using the tideline rocks for months and they are golding together. I wonder if you just got a bad batch?
Could be...ask her to pick up one that has been in the water for a while and apply a little pressure to it with her thumb. I'd be curious to see if its still just as hard or if its easily pliable now. If it has become softer, its only a matter of time.

Another thing I noticed is this weird furry algae that only appears to grow on those frag rocks. My tanks are pretty clean when it comes to algae, I assume in part due to some workhorse fish helping keep everything clean, but whatever grew on those rocks, they would not touch and it ONLY grew on those rocks.

OP
OP
Reefguy88

Reefguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a couple 8 pound boxes from TBS just for this. I predrilled them and keep them in the sump till needed. Frags really seem to take off on them and no more crusty fingers.
Mind sharing your technique for doing this, breaking the rock, etc, and what kind and size of drill bit you are using? As I mentioned in a reply to someone else, I have had limited success doing this as I often end up breaking the rock I am drilling.

Got a pic or two?

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be...ask her to pick up one that has been in the water for a while and apply a little pressure to it with her thumb. I'd be curious to see if its still just as hard or if its easily pliable now. If it has become softer, its only a matter of time.

Another thing I noticed is this weird furry algae that only appears to grow on those frag rocks. My tanks are pretty clean when it comes to algae, I assume in part due to some workhorse fish helping keep everything clean, but whatever grew on those rocks, they would not touch and it ONLY grew on those rocks.

I'll ask her to check and get some pics as well. Hers aren't really growing any algae to speak of.

OP
OP
Reefguy88

Reefguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll ask her to check and get some pics as well. Hers aren't really growing any algae to speak of.
I may have an old pic of one with the stuff on it. I'll see if I can dig one up. Like I said it was only growing on those specific frag rocks, literally no where else in the tank. It made me wonder if they were leeching something that strain of algae seemed to love.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have an old pic of one with the stuff on it. I'll see if I can dig one up. Like I said it was only growing on those specific frag rocks, literally no where else in the tank. It made me wonder if they were leeching something that strain of algae seemed to love.

Here are a couple of hers. They have been in water for around a year and housed different frags over that time. They are all solid and not growing anything weird.

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

My friend. I have solved all of your problems :p
1722295694612.png

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 36.9%
  • No.

Votes: 100 56.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 6.3%
Back