Small feather duster or aiptasia?

Les Poissons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found what I think is a small feather duster or aiptasia growing on the bottom of a zoa plug while taking pics to document progress on my tank. Can anyone help with ID? Thanks!
B452C5B5-C1EC-4063-ADCD-D87657CFCA70.jpeg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if it is a feather duster but does not look quite like aiptasia to me, If I Had to guess my money would be on feather duster. It does look like the fans of a filter feeder.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look more like tentacles than feathers to me, but if it extends farther it could be. Feather duster crowns tend to be more structured in their appearance, as with a lot of filter feeders, but maybe another filter feeder could have something similar, especially since it's pretty small. I'm not used to anemones with different colors per tentacle, though.

If it moves along the rock, it's probably an anemone. If it pops out a different hole, it's probably a filter feeding worm or cucumber... if it stays there..... get a jeweler's loupe or similar and try to get a closer look?

OP
OP
Les Poissons

Les Poissons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to get a closer picture under white lights. Thinking feather duster now as I believe I see “feathers” instead of bare tentacles. Would you agree?

9D340737-12AB-4294-8A2D-AE4BED8BF2D7.jpeg

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar and I was wondering if it was a curly q anemone. I debated if I should do anything with it and 3 weeks later I have 5 of them around my zoas I’m trying to get rid of. Keep an eye on it and if it spreads take action

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like feather duster to me.
My feather dusters usually retract if shine torch on them when tank lights out and can you go to poke it with say tweezers or Turkey Baster and watch It retract ( don't actually poke,just hover above) then watch it send feather part out again to confirm.
That's what I would be doing

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna say duster on this one. I’ve had them suddenly appear on my live rock as well. It is not uncommon. Given enough time you will probably see more popping up.

frankny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found what I think is a small feather duster or aiptasia growing on the bottom of a zoa plug while taking pics to document progress on my tank. Can anyone help with ID? Thanks!
B452C5B5-C1EC-4063-ADCD-D87657CFCA70.jpeg
either micro fether duster or the mini coco worm.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back