Small white hairs under LR

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what these small white hair like things are underneath my live rock? Just a sidenote in case it has anything to do with it I’m currently going through an outbreak of green hair algae. But the worst of it is over I think IMG_7429.jpeg

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t remember the name of those things, but they are common and harmless filter feeders. I have them in every cryptic zone of my rock and sump.
Well, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking. And I cannot remember the name either. Figure it out for me! I'm feeling lazy on this fine Sunday afternoon!

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they soft or hard? Soft usually means sponges, hard means some sort of worm.

Either way, harmless filter feeders. If you're bothered by them, reduce nutrients
Not sure if they're hard or soft but I'll check next time. My nutrients were bottomed out a couple weeks ago, going through GHA now. Got nutrients back up recently.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Does anyone know what these small white hair like things are underneath my live rock? Just a sidenote in case it has anything to do with it I’m currently going through an outbreak of green hair algae. But the worst of it is over I think IMG_7429.jpeg
These are mesenterial filaments and cant be ignored or scraped off if they become too many. Scraping off best in a container of tank water

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
N
Unfortunately my aquascape won't allow me to remove the rock. Is this going to cause a great problem?
Not a harmful issue as its more of a nuisance

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are these mesenterial filaments? I thought those were deployed by coral?
Yeah, mesenterial filaments are deployed by corals (typically when the coral isn't doing great).

OP, these are not mesenterial filaments; these are a tiny variety of feather duster tube worms (they'll have a little feather crown they stick out of the top of their tubes to feed and breathe with - you can see some in the pics in the post linked below).
I have heard with this specific variety that if they're population starts getting out of hand, they can start growing up through corals, and the corals don't like that (this is also discussed in the linked thread) - I've only heard of that scenario happening like three times though, and these feather dusters are in a ton of tanks.

So, statistically, they're almost guaranteed to be harmless/beneficial filter-feeders. Personally, unless they do start popping up through corals, I'd just leave them be.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mesenterial filaments are deployed by corals (typically when the coral isn't doing great).

OP, these are not mesenterial filaments; these are a tiny variety of feather duster tube worms (they'll have a little feather crown they stick out of the top of their tubes to feed and breathe with - you can see some in the pics in the post linked below).
I have heard with this specific variety that if they're population starts getting out of hand, they can start growing up through corals, and the corals don't like that (this is also discussed in the linked thread) - I've only heard of that scenario happening like three times though, and these feather dusters are in a ton of tanks.

So, statistically, they're almost guaranteed to be harmless/beneficial filter-feeders. Personally, unless they do start popping up through corals, I'd just leave them be.
Cool. I wish they would start popping up under all my blue clove polyps…

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back