Snowflake eel jumped, will he survive?

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve owned this snowflake eel for about 4 years. This morning I found him on the floor still wet which I’m assuming is mucus, but there was a strange red spot next to him that appeared to be blood. I immediately put him back in and he’s just been sitting on the bottom of the tank slightly moving with the flow.

I understand eels can revive themselves but I'm seeing no signs of breathing. A snail has been picking at the slime coming off of him. It’s been about 45 minutes and still no movement, is he a goner? I just can’t tell. What should I do?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I’ve owned this snowflake eel for about 4 years. This morning I found him on the floor still wet which I’m assuming is mucus, but there was a strange red spot next to him that appeared to be blood. I immediately put him back in and he’s just been sitting on the bottom of the tank slightly moving with the flow.

I understand eels can revive themselves but I'm seeing no signs of breathing. A snail has been picking at the slime coming off of him. It’s been about 45 minutes and still no movement, is he a goner? I just can’t tell. What should I do?
Allow it to get wet and see how the skin looks after several hours. They have ability to restore and generate body slime which protects them unlike many fish. The worse will be bacterial symptoms which can be treated with Quick Cure and addition of stress coat. Add air stone at this time also if not yet done

OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Allow it to get wet and see how the skin looks after several hours. They have ability to restore and generate body slime which protects them unlike many fish. The worse will be bacterial symptoms which can be treated with Quick Cure and addition of stress coat. Add air stone at this time also if not yet done
Ok, I will do that. What is your opinion on the snails hanging around him and pecking, is that a sign of death? Is it true that if there’s no signs of breathing it’s a goner? I was reading another post where they said it wasn’t breathing but came back to life. Maybe he is breathing and I just can’t see? And the skin now looks vibrant as if he’s still alive.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no gill movement, there is limited gas exchange across the gills. If it has been like that for more than a few minutes, it is likely dead. I have used "artificial respiration" on fish by holding them in the return of a pump and letting water gently flow through their mouth and out their gills. This has worked in a few cases for me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ok, I will do that. What is your opinion on the snails hanging around him and pecking, is that a sign of death? Is it true that if there’s no signs of breathing it’s a goner? I was reading another post where they said it wasn’t breathing but came back to life. Maybe he is breathing and I just can’t see? And the skin now looks vibrant as if he’s still alive.
Snails is a likely sign of scavenging on a dead specimen especially if no gill or body movement with again depending on how dry it got. Ive seen some recover but estimated were not out of water very long

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I wouldn’t give up on the eel yet.

I’ve read some pretty amazing stories of them surviving after being out for hours.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine jumped out of a bucket when I was between tanks. Shes doing just fine today! Scared the heck out of me though.

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one. It jumped out 3-4 times. Longest it was out of tank was maybe 8-10 hours. I put enough water in bucket to cover then did a drip acclimate every time and no problem until I gave him to LFS for a reoccurring problem of it escaping

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT AREA OF REEFING IS YOUR WEAKEST? EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWER IN THE COMMENTS!

• Chemistry and Nutrient Knowledge and Management.

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Disease and Pest Control.

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • Livestock Care.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Technology and Equipment Knowledge.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 16 20.0%

Back