OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only ever seen the method you are describing in freshwater tanks. . . and even then I think I only ever say MD Fish Tanks do it. . . not saying it wont work in salt, just that it does not seem to be as popular in salt for whatever reason. I think for really big stuff people do like a mortar/cement (aquarium specific) or a combination of glue and epoxy. Personally I use Gorilla Gel Super Glue to secure the rocks initially (only gluing the contact points), let that dry and apply another layer of glue, then apply a 2 part epoxy over the glue making sure to completely envelope the glue and the surrounding rock. If using purple epoxy I would use a piece of rubble to texture the epoxy while it is still pliable, if grey I would use a combination of gel and liquid superglue to cover the epoxy in sand. . .

For smaller scapes I usually skip the epoxy and just use superglue and sand.
Yes, Its for the fresh water.

That sounds like a good technique, I'll try it.

Thank you very much

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use this- from home depot no ill effects

Attachments

• IMG_6475.jpeg
    IMG_6475.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 10

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gel glue plus accelerant. Instantly sets.
IMG_1740.jpeg
I used tons of this when building my scape. You can bond two rocks together in literally 10 seconds or less. I made some intricate structures using hundreds of tiny pieces of smashed marco rock. If I didn't use the accelerator, it would have taken weeks to build instead of a few of hours. It's great for filling gaps too. You can keep layering the glue and spraying the accelerator each time. And a tiny drop of accelerator goes a long way. You can use it to make any structure you can dream up, and it holds great... then use epoxy in key spots afterwards to ensure your structure is really strong.

Question to anyone who has used this... Has anyone used the accelerator for mounting corals? I know it's harmless after the glue hardens and accelerator dries. I'm wondering if it would have poisonous effects while the accelerant is still wet? For example, if I globbed some glue to a coral, plug, or a rock, put a drop of this on it, then go right into the tank to mount it, will it poison the water? It doesn't specify on the instructions or the bottle... THX

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tons of this when building my scape. You can bond two rocks together in literally 10 seconds or less. I made some intricate structures using hundreds of tiny pieces of smashed marco rock. If I didn't use the accelerator, it would have taken weeks to build instead of a few of hours. It's great for filling gaps too. You can keep layering the glue and spraying the accelerator each time. And a tiny drop of accelerator goes a long way. You can use it to make any structure you can dream up, and it holds great... then use epoxy in key spots afterwards to ensure your structure is really strong.

Question to anyone who has used this... Has anyone used the accelerator for mounting corals? I know it's harmless after the glue hardens and accelerator dries. I'm wondering if it would have poisonous effects while the accelerant is still wet? For example, if I globbed some glue to a coral, plug, or a rock, put a drop of this on it, then go right into the tank to mount it, will it poison the water? It doesn't specify on the instructions or the bottle... THX
I wouldn't use it. If I remember right, it's a chemical to speed up drying time, like acetone or isopropyl. They evaporate quickly. Don't use acetone on coral.

Fun fact, dip in water right after applying the glue and it immediately sets. Why? The lack of air sets it.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not use in direct contact with a coral. There is a chemical reaction.
Rock to rock, no issues. I have mounted a gorgonian that was attached to a small rock fragment to attached it to a bigger rock in the tank with no issues; again no contact directly with the coral.

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for the explanation.

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use it. If I remember right, it's a chemical to speed up drying time, like acetone or isopropyl. They evaporate quickly. Don't use acetone on coral.

Fun fact, dip in water right after applying the glue and it immediately sets. Why? The lack of air sets it.
That make scenes.

Thank you very much

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use in direct contact with a coral. There is a chemical reaction.
Rock to rock, no issues. I have mounted a gorgonian that was attached to a small rock fragment to attached it to a bigger rock in the tank with no issues; again no contact directly with the coral.
Yes I want to use it to attach stones only.

Thank you very much

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered directly from Gluemasters.com (thin super glue); it was cheaper than through Amazon etc and came within a few days. I used the thin glue and sand to assemble my rockwork and so far no issues. I found the accelerator just made the results more complicated and less consistent and ultimately did not use it for the final structure.

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered directly from Gluemasters.com (thin super glue); it was cheaper than through Amazon etc and came within a few days. I used the thin glue and sand to assemble my rockwork and so far no issues. I found the accelerator just made the results more complicated and less consistent and ultimately did not use it for the final structure.
Their thin version is different than what they showed in the video, I just sent a message and ask if this one is usable or not.

Yeah, I don't think using accelerator is necessary as well.

Thank you very much

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cotton???
Don't use cotton. Use a arragonite sand and thin Super Glue, I get my super glue from Amazon.
This combo will glue your rocks together that you will not be able to get them apart without a chisel and a hammer.
17193447466661470233572919997758.jpg
I ordered it from Amazon.

Thanks for the suggestion.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.7%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 97 43.7%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 55 24.8%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.9%
Back