Stand door

laxer23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I'm building a wood stand, my question is what are people doing if they have a side door. The stand is for a 180g so 24" deep, my dilemma is my sump is 18" deep.
Standard 2x4's are 1.5"x3.5" and to create corners, that's 5" on each side and building the stand around the sump is not happening.
So how to I re-enforce the door side?

stand.PNG

Last edited:

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I'm building a wood stand, my question is what are people doing if they have a side door. The stand is for a 180g so 24" deep, my dilemma is my sump is 18" deep.
Standard 2x4's are 1.5"x3.5" and to create corners, that's 5" on each side and building the stand around the sump is not happening.
So how to I re-enforce the door side?

stand.PNG
Have your yellow boards go full depth splitting/overlapping the 2x4. The 2x's on the end inside could be turned eliminate the green 2x4's. Run those blue boards full width also. Try not to have ends line up. Overlap joints whenever you can. 2 2x4's will support multiple stories of a house with snow load. Your tank doesn't need 3 in a corner.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build it out of plywood not dimensional lumber.

It’s plenty strong enough and leaves a ton of room inside.

As for getting the sump in and out if you leave the stand 6” from the wall you should be able to wiggleIt into the stand and out if necessary.l from the front.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages ---Can you comment to this?
for sure @PharmrJohn

We build our stands different than an open 2x4 style. the way we build our stands allows for a 6 inch less than the width of the tank sump size to fit in the side door. Example, if the tank is 30 wide, a 24 wide sump will fit in the side door.

Hope this helps.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand this correctly, make the front the place where you slide your sump in and out...with a "door" or panel that is removable.

If that isn't to you liking, let me see if I can explain this.....
Make the stand a little wider than the 24 inches....say 25 inches. Now turn the green boards 90 degrees, as shown in this picture:

1722430308562.png

In addition, the purple "end" legs will overlap the joint of the yellow/red top frame and the leading edge in line with the front frame. And one more thing...rip these side purple legs from 3.5 inches down to 3 inches. This will now leave you with a 19 inch opening in the sides of the stand.

Back