Stocking list for a 1500 Litre shallow-ish reef

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning out a stocking list for a 300x100x50cm (1500 litre) reef with a shallow area that takes up about 50cm on the end for mangroves and clams. Do you guys think a banana wrasse (thalassoma lutescens) would be okay instead of a yellow 'coris' wrasse because the tank is so large? Got quite a few maybe fish but those will likely just be added later down the line. By the way all fish are from the sulawesi and raja ampat area, im trying to make a biotope ish stocking list.

Angelfish + Butterflys
1x Pygoplites diacanthus - Regal Angelfish (Biota)
1x Pomacanthus navarchus - Majestic Angelfish (Biota)
1x Chelmon rostratus - Copperband Butterfly
Maybe Biota Multibar Angel
Maybe Genicanthus sp.

Tangs/Surgeonfish + Rabbitfish
1x Acanthus blochii - Ring Tail Surgeonfish
1x Paracanthurus hepatus - Blue Hippo Tang
1x Acanthurus nigricans - Whitecheek Tang
1x Zebrasoma veliferum - Sailfin Tang
1x Siganus doliatus - Scribbled Rabbitfish
Maybe Dussumeri Tang

Wrasses
1x Anampses meleagrides - Yellow Tail Tamarin Wrasse
1x Anampses neoguinaicus - New Guinea Tamarin Wrasse
1x Macropharyngodon ornatus - Ornate Leopard Wrasse
1x Macropharyngodon meleagris - Spotted Leopard Wrasse
1x Halichoeres chrysus - Yellow ‘Coris’ Wrasse or Thalassoma lutescens - Banana Wrasse
1x Halichoeres marginatus - Dusky Wrasse

Miscellaneous
1x Synchiropus splendidus - Mandarin Dragonet
3x Doryrhamphus janssi - Janss’ Pipefish
1x Pterapogon kauderni - Bangaii Cardinal
Maybe C. Solandri/Janthinoptera

Cael Gallery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're in NZ, i feel like you could get some cool fish that would look natural in a mangrove biotope just by catching some, especially on the north island. There are lots of wrasses around the 15-20cm mark aswell. You can catch them with hook and line and a lot of fish will take to captivity quite quickly, just an idea. I don't know what the hobby is like over there but i imagine it would be hard to get a lot of the stuff on your list.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're in NZ, i feel like you could get some cool fish that would look natural in a mangrove biotope just by catching some, especially on the north island. There are lots of wrasses around the 15-20cm mark aswell. You can catch them with hook and line and a lot of fish will take to captivity quite quickly, just an idea. I don't know what the hobby is like over there but i imagine it would be hard to get a lot of the stuff on your list.
Getting indonesian fish is pretty easy because we are close and there are multiple exporters who ship to new zealand. The water around here never really gets past 22 degrees, it is 15 right now so it is more temperatre than tropical. I could set up a seperate tank with some locally collected fish as well as some fish that occasionally show up here like thalassoma wrasses. The salinity of natural seawater here is around 1.027. An estuary style tank with some mangroves, trevally and other fish found in shallow ish water could be nice. Would probably be a future project though as I want to keep corals and only really want to set up one tank at a time.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure how the pipe fish would do with the tangs and angels, they usually are recommended same tank mates as seahorses. Super cute little dudes though!

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure how the pipe fish would do with the tangs and angels, they usually are recommended same tank mates as seahorses. Super cute little dudes though!
I have heard janss pipefish do well in a reef enviroment and are good swimmers with the waterflow and everything. I think the angels will be fine, bit worried about tangs though.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard janss pipefish do well in a reef enviroment and are good swimmers with the waterflow and everything. I think the angels will be fine, bit worried about tangs though.
Yeah Ive never kept a pipe fish. Would love to have one someday. If you get them update the thread and let me know how it goes!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 49 23.2%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 50 23.7%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 52 24.6%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 23 10.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 5.2%
Back