Struggling with ph.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that Meckley method, where does dropping put your calcium and alkalinity at? I like listening to Chris on podcasts and his own videos.

I dont advise following the idea of using kalkwasser without monitoring alkalinity. It will get excessively high in some cases.

OP
OP
thatone08

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont advise following the idea of using kalkwasser without monitoring alkalinity. It will get excessively high in some cases.
Agreed. That’s the only reason why I have not tried it yet. Attempting every possible solution I know of and what others may suggest before I get there. I want to have the consumption of alk and calcium up before going with Kalk.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I only want it in an acceptable range, not striving for 8.3. Only concern is plan to be sps dominant, and want to make sure the really low swings don’t happen, and start preventing growth or dissolving skeleton.
I’m SPS dominant for 7 years.
Never an issue
Biggest waste of money parameter IMM.

If it was easy to get a good read, then maybe, but in the beginning I tried everything, none were consistent so I never knew what the start point was.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the old pool noodle in the window trick. The noodle seals the window, and the air runs through a larger line into my carbon air filter and then I downsize to a smaller line to fit the skimmer intake size. Using the small line the entire time restricted airflow.

IMG_1285.jpeg
IMG_1272.jpeg

OP
OP
thatone08

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the old pool noodle in the window trick. The noodle seals the window, and the air runs through a larger line into my carbon air filter and then I downsize to a smaller line to fit the skimmer intake size. Using the small line the entire time restricted airflow.

IMG_1285.jpeg
IMG_1272.jpeg
I currently have it using duct tape temporarily for testing to see if it works for me. What type of carbon are you using?

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have it using duct tape temporarily for testing to see if it works for me. What type of carbon are you using?
I use large pellet charcoal, small would obstruct airflow too much.

I recommend mounting a room CO2 monitor beside the tank. It will keep you much more engaged.

My windows are cracked most of the year. I probably wouldn’t bother if I didn’t see how high CO2 gets, especially in nice weather when the AC isn’t running.

There is a very real correlation to alkalinity and calcium uptake and room CO2 in my SPS tank. The corals also color up better when they are happy and growing faster. IMG_1408.jpeg

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have similar with both of my tanks. I do not consider my home all that tight. The cooktop is gas and has a ventless downdraft so that can contribute. My heat/water heat is gas condensing vented directly thru the roof so sealed well vented / outside intake. Tank PH is generally 7.7-7.8, has been as low as 7.6.

When I’m able to leave windows open at night it’s gotten as high as 8.0. Slowly assembling the components to build myself a CO2 scrubber for the main display but not looking forward to the cost and maintenance.

Following to learn more

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the outside airline.

I dose kalk continuously with a versa. It’s a great option as long as you have enough corals to consume all the alk and calcium.

I also run a fuge, opposite the main lights.

The little things add up.

OP
OP
thatone08

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 24 hours since shutting off the skimmer due to it going crazy. Low overnight was 7.54 and reached 7.9 without skimmer or any Alk dosing. Skimmer attempted to turn on but immediately filling up the cup too fast. Water change tomorrow at which point I will clean the skimmer and sump. Will leave skimmer off until then to see how low it dips tonight. Once cleaned going to see what running it produces for the next two days just the way I have it oriented with my basement window. Will post pictures tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_7493.png
    IMG_7493.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 7

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with ph for probably 20 years. Couldn't get it to stay above 8. It always stayed at 7.8 no matter what. About 7 years ago I removed my skimmer and installed a large refugium ph jumped to 8.3 -8.4. That was a 700 gallon system. My latest downsize is a 114 gallon system lightly stocked. I am using a 4 gallon HOB refugium and my ph runs 8.25 to 8.45. Again no skimmer. Nitrates and phosphate are undetectable. I did add extra lighting to the refugium. It gets about 4-500 par. Display lighting is about 150par at the top and 75 at the bottom

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20240619_000847.jpg

I keep my ph between 8.2 and 8.3 by using esv bionic split up at the beginning middle and end of my photo period and then kalkwasser at night.

I also use a co2 scrubber and Refugium running at night.

esv has the biggest impact on ph compared to the rest.

TomTheSeagull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something inexpensive worth trying - I read that Snake Plants do a great job of removing CO2 from the air in your house, even at night. They thrive in low light so might be good in your situation.

I also have low PH issues. I am lucky to get to 7.8. Usually as low as 7.4. I do not have a skimmer but have thought to add one just to see if it solves this issue. I am doubtful the snake plant will help me as there are only 2 of us in a large house and I leave the window open in the room with the aquarium a few hours each day. So I doubt there is a build up of CO2 in the room. But Im going to get a couple Snake plants anyway as it will look nice in the room and maybe it will have an impact.

I appreciate the suggestions for a fuge. Have to look into that. My options are -
1. Get rid of filter socks and use that area for fuge
2. use the skimmer chamber for fuge and not get a skimmer
3. Find a HOB fuge.

Based on what I see in this thread the fuge seems more impactful than the skimmer for PH so I may go with option 2.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something inexpensive worth trying - I read that Snake Plants do a great job of removing CO2 from the air in your house, even at night. They thrive in low light so might be good in your situation.

I also have low PH issues. I am lucky to get to 7.8. Usually as low as 7.4. I do not have a skimmer but have thought to add one just to see if it solves this issue. I am doubtful the snake plant will help me as there are only 2 of us in a large house and I leave the window open in the room with the aquarium a few hours each day. So I doubt there is a build up of CO2 in the room. But Im going to get a couple Snake plants anyway as it will look nice in the room and maybe it will have an impact.

I appreciate the suggestions for a fuge. Have to look into that. My options are -
1. Get rid of filter socks and use that area for fuge
2. use the skimmer chamber for fuge and not get a skimmer
3. Find a HOB fuge.

Based on what I see in this thread the fuge seems more impactful than the skimmer for PH so I may go with option 2.
No, plants are not worth the effort. There is far too little CO2 consumed unless the room is like a greenhouse with not much input from people.

Studies make this clear, but think of it in this simple way: for a plant to offset the CO2 you exhale, it will have to build new tissue mass about as fast as you consume food. In that scenario, yes, plants will help. But realistically, no plants grow pounds of new tissue per day in a home environment.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had my choice between a refugium and skimmer. Refugium every time. Use a strong light your refugium should have 2-3x the par of your display.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My HOB refugium works OK but the lighting it came with was not enough. The flow pump doesn't have enough flow. I fixed the lighting. I'm working on sending my carbon reactor return into the refugium to increase the flow. The HOB refugium my only filtration so I'm pushing it's limits pretty hard.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
infuse pure oxygen,helpes with good baacteria and water clarity

I don’t believe the bacteria claim. What is the basis for thinking it?

The clarity is not from O2, but from hydrogen peroxide oxidizing organics.

In any case, I asked because this thread was about pH, and I wondered if you expected some sort of pH benefit (there isn’t any significant effect).

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • My coral

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back