Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, I currently have a 40 gallon Trigger sump I just set up with my 50 gallon frag tank. Anyways this is my first sump so I am kind of going in blind at the moment not knowing how to place everything in terms of media and such so if you guys could just give me any tips or what to change and then what I can mainly add.

So right now I have 3 filter socks and going past that sections into the protein skimmer sections I put two bags of media but think I need to move those into the flow slot of the refugium or after protein skimmer. With the media I also have 6 Bio blocks under the Protein skimmer to raise it a little in protein skimmer sections I have seen people do this so not sure if this is a good way or not. And that's all I have in protein skimmer section. My refugium section I only have about 10 pounds of live rock to help the cycle All the other media I used has been cycled in the display I also added Turbo start. My main question is what can I add to my Refugium I do not want any sand as to why I haven't added any however I do want to grow Macroalgae and have a light set up with it . With this Should I also break all my live rock into Rumble or keep it in rocks what is better to keep the Marco Algae and when can I add that and when I do can I just add it straight in that section of the sump Doesn't need to be held down or anything.

Also want to add some Copepods which I think I can do probably within a week or two what do you guys think. And where do you like to get your copepods and Marco Algae along with what kind. I really like the red looking Marco is that ok to grow? I plan to add more Media to the sump as well that is not going to be cycled where should I keep it. I have nothing in the Return section other than the return let me know if I should add anything after the REFG into the Return.. Sorry for all the questions this is my first sump like I said.

I have a ton of room in this sump I would like to be able to keep a fish in there if need be or at least some snails and such or a shrimp in the Refugium if possible. Also using Refugium for Nutrient control and I want to have a good Population of Pods

I will attach pictures when I get home of how the sump looks now.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add chaeto of course need light. I like to add hermits and snails to fuge and only snails to main tank. I never used filter socks or any media besides poly filter and carbon(run through reactor) . I put the poly filter after the fuge great stuff.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add chaeto of course need light. I like to add hermits and snails to fuge and only snails to main tank. I never used filter socks or any media besides poly filter and carbon(run through reactor) . I put the poly filter after the fuge great stuff.
When is an appropriate time to add chaeto and I have a tunze eco light so hope that will work just need a timer.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is tank finished cycling? Best time right after cycle since you will have lots of nutrients most likely to remove. Chaeto needs to tumble slowly or manually move it every day. Once it comes large you can cut it and sell it. You can also add algae scrubber(if you have room) but dont do both. I no longer run a fuge. I got an algae scrubber it helped a lot.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace one of your socks with a media cup for any bagged media. See mine below.

Attachments

• 20220703_202924.jpg
    20220703_202924.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is tank finished cycling? Best time right after cycle since you will have lots of nutrients most likely to remove. Chaeto needs to tumble slowly or manually move it every day. Once it comes large you can cut it and sell it. You can also add algae scrubber(if you have room) but dont do both. I no longer run a fuge. I got an algae scrubber it helped a lot.
I just asked that question in another forum going from 20 gallon to 90 gallon system with 2 bags of cycled media 2 bio blocks and a HOB from display that wasn’t needed to help cycle as well as turbo start so it’ll prob take a little hoping not long.

What’s the best way to let it tumble can I not just throw it on the rocks and it be fine do I need to try and attach it at all?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just asked that question in another forum going from 20 gallon to 90 gallon system with 2 bags of cycled media 2 bio blocks and a HOB from display that wasn’t needed to help cycle as well as turbo start so it’ll prob take a little hoping not long.

What’s the best way to let it tumble can I not just throw it on the rocks and it be fine do I need to try and attach it at all?
My chaeto never tumbled and grows like a weed. I hand rotate once a week.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have chemipure in there. Technically you can place a media bag inside a sock also which I do with phosguard.
Yea that’s a good idea I’ll definitely be picking one up in case I need it I was thinking you could just put in filter sock if you needed but something made for that is a good ease of mind.

Looks like you have a bunch of rock rumble am I correct? Do you prefer rumble over just larger rock ? Is it to create more surface area?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't run a sump since the 90s when they were wet dries but something I've always known is how inefficient it is to just drop media in the sump vs a canister or reactor. Since you have the room then look into adding a few reactors which can house, floss, GAC or other media including biological. Get better contact vs water taking path of least resistance and hoping that continued passes gets it done. Could plumb the reactors to feed the return pump if they are big enough and that would be optimal. Another option if viable having the water from the sock compartment having to go through the reactor for polishing. Not familiar with that sump but main point is added efficiency with reactors.

Personally, I'd remove the socks and add pom pom macroalgae and let that be my first line of defense as I believe from experience the pom pom won't tear into little pieces and impact the skimmer. Chaeto might and why I'd consider running that post skimmer unless a way to filter it to avoid pieces getting to the skimmer. At least that's what I've seen with chaeto and why I've chosen the lesser efficiency of pom pom. I believe it's got a calcified structure making it more rigid. Felt more rigid.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't run a sump since the 90s when they were wet dries but something I've always known is how inefficient it is to just drop media in the sump vs a canister or reactor. Since you have the room then look into adding a few reactors which can house, floss, GAC or other media including biological. Get better contact vs water taking path of least resistance and hoping that continued passes gets it done. Could plumb the reactors to feed the return pump if they are big enough and that would be optimal. Another option if viable having the water from the sock compartment having to go through the reactor for polishing. Not familiar with that sump but main point is added efficiency with reactors.

Personally, I'd remove the socks and add pom pom macroalgae and let that be my first line of defense as I believe from experience the pom pom won't tear into little pieces and impact the skimmer. Chaeto might and why I'd consider running that post skimmer unless a way to filter it to avoid pieces getting to the skimmer. At least that's what I've seen with chaeto and why I've chosen the lesser efficiency of pom pom. I believe it's got a calcified structure making it more rigid. Felt more rigid.
I completely agree with you. The canister filter is just able to allow the water to flow through all of the media better rather than a sump in my opinion and I use reactors on my display tank, however with this tank, I have already spent a small fortune. I feel like and was trying to just go with what I got. I also really over filtered my 75 gallon with a canister filter and two media reactors completely filled so I really wanted to see what just some bags of media and bio blocks would do without having to add the reactors unless I realize my nutrients are getting out of control. Another reason I’ve decided not to do reactors is this is a 50 gallon tank with 40 gallon sump so there’s quite a bit of water volume for what I want to put in there only maybe five fish and the rest is a frag tank so I don’t want to overfilter like I did on my 75 gallon and I’m finding out now with no nutrients

With the pom-pom that you talk about is that something you can just drop directly into the intake of this sump and let go or is there anything to it?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree with you. The canister filter is just able to allow the water to flow through all of the media better rather than a sump in my opinion and I use reactors on my display tank, however with this tank, I have already spent a small fortune. I feel like and was trying to just go with what I got. I also really over filtered my 75 gallon with a canister filter and two media reactors completely filled so I really wanted to see what just some bags of media and bio blocks would do without having to add the reactors unless I realize my nutrients are getting out of control. Another reason I’ve decided not to do reactors is this is a 50 gallon tank with 40 gallon sump so there’s quite a bit of water volume for what I want to put in there only maybe five fish and the rest is a frag tank so I don’t want to overfilter like I did on my 75 gallon and I’m finding out now with no nutrients

With the pom-pom that you talk about is that something you can just drop directly into the intake of this sump and let go or is there anything to it?
Here’s a link from TSA. One of our sponsors and where I got mine from. They also have a YouTube video showing how they tumble there’s to keep GHA from attaching. Something I’m trying next.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s a good idea I’ll definitely be picking one up in case I need it I was thinking you could just put in filter sock if you needed but something made for that is a good ease of mind.

Looks like you have a bunch of rock rumble am I correct? Do you prefer rumble over just larger rock ? Is it to create more surface area?
Well the rubble is low profile so the chaeto can occupy most of the chamber. If you use large rock then your chaeto has no space. Depending on the size of the chamber of course.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just get one of these to act as a reactor plus it will keep detritus suspended in the sump

IMG_6431.png

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • My coral

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back