Surface Agitation

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

quick question;

I want to make sure I have properly surface agitation to get better gas exchange.

How do you know you achieved that? Do you need to actually see air bubbles creating and popping at the surface or just a fast movement of the whole surface? I have my return nozzle and powerhead aiming at the surface and they create a lot of movement but I don't see any bubbles or hearing sounds of water breaking the tension.

Do you have a "scientific" way to do that?

Many thanks!

Gabri

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

quick question;

I want to make sure I have properly surface agitation to get better gas exchange.

How do you know you achieved that? Do you need to actually see air bubbles creating and popping at the surface or just a fast movement of the whole surface? I have my return nozzle and powerhead aiming at the surface and they create a lot of movement but I don't see any bubbles or hearing sounds of water breaking the tension.

Do you have a "scientific" way to do that?

Many thanks!

Gabri
Surface ripples and swells are a good indication of surface mixing.

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no scientist but my understanding is the same as what Dan_P said, as long as there movement in the water surface that is enough to promote that exchange.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is surface agitation even a good way to oxygenate water?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 98 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back