OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the drivel snippet was funny to leave Id have done that same thing so no foul

editing. Me and the nine angry men in yesterday’s ghost ammonia post should’ve reconciled at six am just the same, but we could not so for ten hours we debated free ammonia status. today seems a better start

Last edited:

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude you are so weird. There wasn't 9 angry men. There was 8 people trying to help and you talking about how bad api tests are and how stupid everyone else is and how amazing you are. Even after his tank picture proved he had some sort of ammonia problem. Whatever.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homebrood I’m directly asking you not to wreck this thread.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read that thread.

Just an FYI, every salt mix has some ammonia in it(I think, don't quote me, it comes from the MAG salts. I think I read that from randy). If your reef can't handle that small amount of ammonia, your tank was never cycled to begin with.

Even a 100% WC shouldn't cause what the OP in that thread was having problems with. For once(OK maybe a couple times now) I would agree with @brandon429.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His tank oxidizes any ammonia added within five mins.

that post already shows how reefs uptake more ammonia added than comes from salt. this is why seneye matters so much here, and is absent on literally all stuck ammonia alert posts.

this thread above was so crucial

Because that thread exists, nobody‘s reef in this thread has free ammonia issues. I’m wanting my challengers to use this same discover and link approach, show me the time spent discovering reefs that indeed cannot control ammonia - this is a very fair request. Our thread is unique in that we don’t want color tube test readings we want discoveries like this link above.

Last edited:

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the thread is kind of wrecked by ignoring his ammonia spike and losing all his fish. Also ignoring the ammonia badge and api test kits that all show ammonia and claiming it as a victory. Like what...

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homer you are confusing me with attacks then edits in support.

Brood agreed there were some last minute updates to the changes that made predictions challenging.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read that thread.

Just an FYI, every salt mix has some ammonia in it(I think, don't quote me, it comes from the MAG salts. I think I read that from randy). If your reef can't handle that small amount of ammonia, your tank was never cycled to begin with.

Even a 100% WC shouldn't cause what the OP in that thread was having problems with. For once(OK maybe a couple times now) I would agree with @brandon429.
No one really thinks that it's just the ammonia in the salt that caused all the problems. The reason for the problems is unclear but the problem was there all the same.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never attacked you in the above post, or accused you of attacking anyone other then me, which we both agreed to edit.

Just edited the above to add I agreed with you in that thread.

And I would quit posting here if you would stop calling me back here. lol

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
admit it will be funny when today someone posts an emergency ammonia alert thread

everyones finger will be on the mouse button, hesitantly ready to roll lol

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read, but typically stay out of those threads.

I know how to cycle a tank, done it numerous times. Plenty of information out there on how to do it. No need to hold someones hand if they don't want to do the work for themselves.

Haha in the 3 years I've been here, think I';ve started maybe 10 threads? We only post in threads together, but typically one neither of us starts.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Team

he made his own cycle assessment at the start. Intuition, validated.

what I love about this post is *this* is how cycling works in reefing, for everyone

we now have a resolved, confident new reefer aligned for best practices

old cycling science keeps us terribly addicted and dependent on the retail help purchase options, must earn zero ammonia and zero nitrite, these notions do NOT turn out stronger reefs.

Relying on bacteria to do what they do, even if a nine dollar test kit disagrees, is turning out very strong reefs and much higher fish retention rates on the 8 month mark should anyone like to begin inspecting these post follow ups for patterned outcomes.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

for contrast, a real ammonia event. notice the recurring theme on visual layout details missing or included from prior posts in this pattern study thread.

we can see that ammonia events require a stark causative, they're not creep up events

its usually fish that start the loss cascade, although reef tanks can certainly handle an initial death without breakdown. 2 or 3 fish though, that can tip a sensitive smaller reef tank into the concern zone and then all the predictable symptoms for nh3 poisoning and lack of o2 begin

I know stray voltage / poisons can't be ruled out but he was able to get this far, before vacation, without those issues. Its very likely to see here the fish loss began a cascade, although cause of fish loss may not be evident. and if we do find out a poisoning event of some kind occurred, we can at least see the associated tank details in pics that we've been struggling to find for the last four pages.

notice how we never battled ammonia readings in that thread, the crash was evident to him visually, no testing req'd. he also has a very specific recuperation plan, we can track out the outcome based on his direction chosen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This poster's ammonia is not problematic, though hes being told to worry about it and buy offsets and dose them.

watch for what the update pics show. relate that to prior pics found in this pattern tracing thread.

I bet his fish look normal

and the water is clear

and there's plenty of surface area as usual.

api believed again over visual biology? lets see the pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this one isn't even proofed yet. lets see how pics spec out.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’s all my laugh emoji friends :) how’d we do in prediction above? The outcome is finalized now.

is it different than any reef on this entire thread

what does this mean about inherent cycle control in reef tanks, that we don’t have to recharge or buy to refresh?

if anything thinks they can get away with making up stuff in the chemistry forum where Randy is posting in a thread on chemistry, do try and link that here

what brand of test kit here keeps causing madness, for pages

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peers were about to get to three pages before telling him about api mistests, the rascals
:)

claim: my cycle has been stuck for three months

reality: no, it hasn’t. Your water is clear after being fed eighty times and your fish is alive and you have so much surface area you could instantly input fifteen more fish though brook would wipe them out in a month if you did.

old cycling rules cause so much fear and panic reaction.

you could take your fish out and put him in a five gallon bucket of saltwater + all dry rocks, feed him once, check back in 24 hours and see what a stuck cycle looks like (but don’t)

every single example thread here has three things in common.

Notice again how cycling woes have masked fish disease / this is always the case.

Cycling is about fish disease prevention nowadays, we dont concern over bottle bac they all work fine evidently.

notice how he's prompted to go re buy bottled bac even though its not needed, these are the loops involved in old cycling rules.

Last edited:

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 36 40.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back