Taking a coral to a doctor as a patient?

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is kinda a weird one, but recently I just found out a bunch of my montipora and a couple staghorn acropora have got black bugs on them. I've been reading for hours now about effective treatments. I've come to two options and one is to remove the affected coral and dip it in Bayer which I initially was going to do but after more thinking and research this is really a temporary thing and most likely these bugs have affected more frags In my tank than I can Individually take out and dip. Plus the bugs seem to come back and more dipping is required so it's not solving the problem

I then found that interceptor which is a dog heart worm medication with the active ingredient milbecyin oxyim is effective and lots of people talking about it's success with red and black bugs and some not so much, but I think the species they had were very resistant to dips and interceptor. The ones I have after dipping in coral rx seem to die pretty quickly in that stuff so it makes me think the species I have will be die in interceptor dosed into the tank.

The only issue is I have to get a prescription from a vet and all the vets I called won't do it for corals. The only place willing to is an hour away and I have to bring the coral in to a doctor as a patient so that I can show them the issue. Lol it's just crazy to me that I have to do this to get a heartworm medicine. The other way is to order it from online in another country but it takes awhile to get it shipped out.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is kinda a weird one, but recently I just found out a bunch of my montipora and a couple staghorn acropora have got black bugs on them. I've been reading for hours now about effective treatments. I've come to two options and one is to remove the affected coral and dip it in Bayer which I initially was going to do but after more thinking and research this is really a temporary thing and most likely these bugs have affected more frags In my tank than I can Individually take out and dip. Plus the bugs seem to come back and more dipping is required so it's not solving the problem

I then found that interceptor which is a dog heart worm medication with the active ingredient milbecyin oxyim is effective and lots of people talking about it's success with red and black bugs and some not so much, but I think the species they had were very resistant to dips and interceptor. The ones I have after dipping in coral rx seem to die pretty quickly in that stuff so it makes me think the species I have will be die in interceptor dosed into the tank.

The only issue is I have to get a prescription from a vet and all the vets I called won't do it for corals. The only place willing to is an hour away and I have to bring the coral in to a doctor as a patient so that I can show them the issue. Lol it's just crazy to me that I have to do this to get a heartworm medicine. The other way is to order it from online in another country but it takes awhile to get it shipped out.
Did you try chewy, petco, tractor supply, to name a few.
It's over the counter these days.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chewy and a couple other I looked at need to have a prescription. Ordering online I heard could take a month. Haven't tried tractor supply but maybe they would although if everyone else needs a prescription I dont see why they would be different.
Did you try chewy, petco, tractor supply, to name a few.
It's over the counter these days.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chewy and a couple other I looked at need to have a prescription. Ordering online I heard could take a month. Haven't tried tractor supply but maybe they would although if everyone else needs a prescription I dont see why they would be different.
I walked into tractor supply and bought it a few months back.
And ivermectin.

The sales lady told me ivermectin will soon need a prescription but didn't say anything about the heartgaurd.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walked into tractor supply and bought it a few months back.
And ivermectin.

The sales lady told me ivermectin will soon need a prescription but didn't say anything about the heartgaurd.
I live in Colorado so maybe that makes a difference idk, I just called a tractor supply place. They need a prescription. Looks like I'm going to shell $150 for the visit and probably $50 for a medication that might work and probably kill my shrimp and crabs...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I asked my vet about something similar but a fish, he said he had to physically see something for legal reasons so I had to bring it in because of that.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 71 27.0%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 114 43.3%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 64 24.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.3%
Back