Tampa Bay Live rock for sump

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My own experience with TBS was nothing short of AWESOME! I ordered live rock and sand from TBS for my new tank, and they delivered absolutely great quality! Everything was submerged in water and came in with TONS of life which is still happy and thriving in my tank (sponges included). I can't recommend them enough! If you are curious about what you'll receive, talking with @LiverockRocks is the way to go. They're clear about what you should expect on their website, but if you still have questions, just ask 'em. They give great customer service IME (and the overwhelming majority of reviews for them will say the same).

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, knew something was coming but haven’t looked at the path yet, thanks…. I work for Ga Power and they’re already putting together crews
On the bright side, those having access to our beaches might find post storm a good time to go shell collecting :)

OP
OP
B

bj274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own experience with TBS was nothing short of AWESOME! I ordered live rock and sand from TBS for my new tank, and they delivered absolutely great quality! Everything was submerged in water and came in with TONS of life which is still happy and thriving in my tank (sponges included). I can't recommend them enough! If you are curious about what you'll receive, talking with @LiverockRocks is the way to go. They're clear about what you should expect on their website, but if you still have questions, just ask 'em. They give great customer service IME (and the overwhelming majority of reviews for them will say the same).

So my shipment should be here next week….

I’ve read that you can put rocks in a bucket with high salinity water (like 1.035) to find hitchhikers. Is this the best approach method and how long would it take for them to come out of hiding? Is it best to place in sump first and not DT, but still would be hard to find any hitchhikers?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my shipment should be here next week….

I’ve read that you can put rocks in a bucket with high salinity water (like 1.035) to find hitchhikers. Is this the best approach method and how long would it take for them to come out of hiding? Is it best to place in sump first and not DT, but still would be hard to find any hitchhikers?
If just trying to preserve bacteria then salinity could be dropped to 9 ppt and that would not only kill hitchhikers but also most pathogens. However, if trying to preserve some inverts than any action to kill hitchhikers might affect them as well. Such as sponges my thinking.

Never heard about 35 ppt being an effective remedy considering some tanks inadvertently creep up to 36 ppt due to sodium chloride based two parts. Corals seem to survive that which would infer so would other inverts.

Seems safest route being an observation tank with lights out and traps so that unwanted life can be observed and captured. Often a flash light can alert you to what exists before it quickly hides. At a minimum, one then has a better idea what's left after the traps have stopped catching. Everything needs to eat and since one seeks to remove that which might eat other inhabitants then food probably the best remedy.

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some real...personalities in this thread Guess that's what makes the world go round. I've used KP and got rocks with just coraline and mermaids cup but no pests. I've always wanted to try tbs for the off chance of coral and macro, taking the risk of aiptasia. I like staring at naturally covered rock better than windex Disney world tanks!

Hemmbone20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added 8lbs TBS rubble to my sump 2 weeks ago, and I’m happy with it so far. Lots of little fan worms and sponges. I put the more attractive rocks in my display but the boring ones stay in the sump.

Only negatives I’d say are I did get some cirolanid isopods in the order that have been latching onto my fish at night. It’s been a bit of a process hunting them down and removing from the tank. So far I’ve manually removed about 11 of them.
I got a little glass catcher on Amazon for under 10 bucks that I load up with food before night time. That works as well as manually netting them about 2 hours after the lights go out.

I still think TBS is worth getting but just be aware that you may end up having to catch some of the undesirables.

OP
OP
B

bj274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added 8lbs TBS rubble to my sump 2 weeks ago, and I’m happy with it so far. Lots of little fan worms and sponges. I put the more attractive rocks in my display but the boring ones stay in the sump.

Only negatives I’d say are I did get some cirolanid isopods in the order that have been latching onto my fish at night. It’s been a bit of a process hunting them down and removing from the tank. So far I’ve manually removed about 11 of them.
I got a little glass catcher on Amazon for under 10 bucks that I load up with food before night time. That works as well as manually netting them about 2 hours after the lights go out.

I still think TBS is worth getting but just be aware that you may end up having to catch some of the undesirables.
Do you think the high salinity trick in a bucket for a little while will help?

Hemmbone20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the high salinity trick in a bucket for a little while will help?
I’ve never done that so I don’t know enough to answer that question..

if I order from TBS again I’d probably just quarantine the rock for a few days and check on it at night. Seems like most of the hitchhikers can be seen more at night. If there are more isopods swimming around I’d wait until they starve and die off before adding rock to the my main tank.
You can read about that particular pest on here, and also on the TBS website.

Back