Tang in a 50.3 gallon

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think of a 'centerpiece fish' as something different than a temporary occupant that's understood to be in a less than desirable situation. Kind of like an apartment dweller getting a puppy knowing that before it hits adulthood it is going to have to be rehomed.
Many apartment dwellers keep full size dogs for life. Its similar to us keeping fish in glass boxes. Its about selecting the right breed with an activity level suited for the surroundings.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fox face was the most aggressive fish I’ve ever owned in my life, and it was in a 75g tank. He legitimately scared me, if I put my hand in the tank he would furiously and rapidly swim all over the tank, stir up the sand so you couldn’t see, flare out his spines and dart in and out of the sand clouds trying to stab me. I dealt with him for a month hoping it would subside but it didn’t and I traded him in at the store.
Wow. Ive never even heard of an aggressive foxface! Thats crazy! The two Ive had are the most skitty fish and shy!

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its about selecting the right breed with with an activity level suited for the surroundings.
Yeah, maybe this is the angle that makes more sense for this particular common question. 50g tank is a small one bedroom/half bath/galley kitchen apartment, and a tang is a (I don't know dogs...) Border Collie? And maybe a Royal Gramma is a Pug?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Ive never even heard of an aggressive foxface! Thats crazy! The two Ive had are the most skitty fish and shy!
Lucky me lol

Believe me I was shocked. And I did not have any aggressive fish in the tank, the fox face was also the largest fish so he did not have anyone picking on him. It was one of the craziest times I ever had with my tank. I read they were venomous, I didn’t know how serious it could be so I was very cautious. And this guy was throwing a complete tantrum any time I had to work in my tank and I admit it scared the heck out of me to the point where I returned him.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky me lol

Believe me I was shocked. And I did not have any aggressive fish in the tank, the fox face was also the largest fish so he did not have anyone picking on him. It was one of the craziest times I ever had with my tank. I read they were venomous, I didn’t know how serious it could be so I was very cautious. And this guy was throwing a complete tantrum any time I had to work in my tank and I admit it scared the heck out of me to the point where I returned him.
Wow! Mine darts all over when Im working in the tank to try to get away from me but isnt aggressive at all. No one picks on him either, the most aggressive thing he has done is raise his spines at other fish if they get too close

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many apartment dwellers keep full size dogs for life. Its similar to us keeping fish in glass boxes. Its about selecting the right breed with an activity level suited for the surroundings.
Dawg you can't take a tang for a long walk lol

I get what you are saying, though. Species needs are so different too, like a 4" clown might never leave it's 12x12 area, but a 4" tank might feel cramped in a 6' tank.

The WB 50.3 is too small for any tang long term, but you could keep one for a year or so if you get them 1-2".

It comes down to what your priorities are for your tank.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fox face was the most aggressive fish I’ve ever owned in my life, and it was in a 75g tank. He legitimately scared me, if I put my hand in the tank he would furiously and rapidly swim all over the tank, stir up the sand so you couldn’t see, flare out his spines and dart in and out of the sand clouds trying to stab me. I dealt with him for a month hoping it would subside but it didn’t and I traded him in at the store.
I have a one spot Foxface in my 75gallon. He’s a real mellow guy, stays away when I have hands in the tank. He’s a scaredy cat - any quick movements by me if I’m near the tank and he darts into the rocks.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it becomes more and more clear to me that my fish was possessed and I shouldnt expect other fox face to be like that
Yeah! Yours was like Reagan from the Exorcist apparently lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it becomes more and more clear to me that my fish was possessed and I shouldnt expect other fox face to be like that
Yeah, something was truly off about yours!

I’ve had 5-6 now and not one was as hyperactive as yours was.

addictswife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is going to get the police sirens sounding but worth a shot. I’m in the process of picking out fish for my Waterbox 50.3 and I would absolutely love a tang as the centerpiece fish. I know I’m extremely extremely limited and would have to likely go out and get a juvenile and trade it back yada yada. I wanted to see what others thought about a Tomini Tang as a full time member even when it’s fully grown or a juvenile Yellow Tang. I’ve seen many in this forum say their YTs didn’t grow that fast and wondering if that’s worth the chance and have a YT for longer as a juvenile.
I have a 47 gal lagoon 36” long. Thought I could get a small tang and it would grow slowly and then I would rehome it. They grow really really fast. The powder blue grew quickly and became very territorial really fast. All my other fish started hiding. And he seemed agitated too. Then I went with a lemon peel and it has also grown fast and about to have to be rehomed also. He races around and doesn’t seem happy any longer either.
I like tangs. I think they are pretty. And do great job controlling algae. But I don’t think it’s a good fit for 36” even for a short time.

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say go for it, I had a blue hippo the size of a quarter in my 40 gallon for 6-8 months, once she got to a size where it just didn’t look like she had enough space I gave her away to someone on this forum with a 220 gallon, i get updates now and she’s doing great!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can moderators start locking these?

“I know I shouldn’t do this, but I want someone to tell me I can”

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early in this thread I gave an example of two tangs I keep in a 36x22x22" tank. I just want to share a video of the tangs I keep in that tank. I'm far from an expert so maybe I'm not good at judging fish behavior and am missing something but do these fish look stressed? Normally I associate glass surfing, pacing the tank, circling powerheads,hiding, aggression and such as signs of stress. I do not want to start an argument and am not trying to encourage people to keep tangs in tanks that are too small. I have 3 tanks running and one is too small for tangs and I've been battling gha for 2 years in that tank so I'm a fan of tangs as part of my CUC. I have a 7ft tank I could move these tangs into if needed but I just don't see a need. This is how the fish act all day, just swimming around in the rocks. They feed from the water column and come out for treats. Am I missing something about the behavior of these fish? There are only 4 fish in the tank, the 2 tangs, a six line and a tail spot blenny.

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early in this thread I gave an example of two tangs I keep in a 36x22x22" tank. I just want to share a video of the tangs I keep in that tank. I'm far from an expert so maybe I'm not good at judging fish behavior and am missing something but do these fish look stressed? Normally I associate glass surfing, pacing the tank, circling powerheads,hiding, aggression and such as signs of stress. I do not want to start an argument and am not trying to encourage people to keep tangs in tanks that are too small. I have 3 tanks running and one is too small for tangs and I've been battling gha for 2 years in that tank so I'm a fan of tangs as part of my CUC. I have a 7ft tank I could move these tangs into if needed but I just don't see a need. This is how the fish act all day, just swimming around in the rocks. They feed from the water column and come out for treats. Am I missing something about the behavior of these fish? There are only 4 fish in the tank, the 2 tangs, a six line and a tail spot blenny.

I love how there’s just one yellow tang, something about it just grazing alone is so peaceful to me.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • My coral

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back