Tangs

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard Aqueon 75 gallon tank. I’m looking at the following.

Yellow tang
Tomini tang
Convict tang

Could I get 2 out of the 3?

I have two islands in my tank with 2” or swim room on the back side of the rocks and glass wall. I mention this as they fish can swim front and back of rock structures for line of sight breaks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tomini is the only one you could keep as an adult out of those three. I had a tomini in my 75 gallon when that was running. I would just stick with the tomini.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think every fish is different - and in captivity it takes quite a while for yellow tangs to get to 'adult' size - and they can live to be 40+ years. So - it's hard to say when your tang will be too big for that tank. However, my comment would be that 2 tangs alone in a tank may be an issue either way. Are you planning other fish as well?

kvansloo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my 90 gallon tank 15 years ago I had a Yellow Tang and a Regal Hippo tang. I then added 5 Scopus tangs that was when the fights started, after one night I had one Yellow tang and one Regal tang and two Scopus tangs that I moved into another tank quickly. I found them a new home after I found the yellow tang and the regal was tag teaming everyone else. I was able to put two clowns in with them but that was it. I still have the Yellow tang today. The Regal jumped into the over flow last month and Died now the overflow is covered.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept a yellow tank in 65g for 4 years, never grew past 4” and is a model citizen
IMG_0729.jpeg

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last experience with Tangs from the 90s and don't recall them being so mean but then back then prices more affordable and we kept them in groups. Perhaps all introduced at once would calm some nerves. If not then check this out. Sometimes creating new territories make all feel new.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is weird how some grow so slowly and small. I wonder if other fish are releasing growth stunting hormones like maybe clownfish that may be impacting them.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yellow tang
Tomini tang
Convict tang

I have two islands in my tank with 2” or swim room on the back side of the rocks and glass wall. I mention this as they fish can swim front and back of rock structures for line of sight breaks.
None based on what you describe. Maybe tomini if you had more swimming room and less rock. But I would t put any of those in that tanks, just not fair to the tangs.

OP
OP
S

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is why I love this forum. So much community activity.
I have a source where I can get all 3 right around 3” give or take.
My tank set up is attached. Very open.

I do plan up getting a 5’ - 150 gallon in 2 or so years. Maybe a little bigger if I go deeper front to back like 30”.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting all three together likely just fine. Problem arises when individuals have established territories and suddenly strangers invade their space and then it's West Side Story :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Yellow tang
Tomini tang
Convict tang

I dont see an issue with three tangs in a 75. Obviously maintain good water quality, diet and hiding spots

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yellow tang
Tomini tang
Convict tang

You’ll get mixed opinions on this, I would say yes, but it also depends on the rest of your stocking.

BillFish Coral Lover

Most Excellent Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini, no problem. Maybe one of the other two if they’re juvenile and you are going to upgrade as you say, but be willing to give the other up in the event you’re unable to make the size upgrade. You’d definitely have to give up the convict and likely the yellow. I’m in the same boat. I love tangs and have to go to a 75 after having a 120 for about 15 years. At least you foresee having the larger tank down the road

Adding together is best, (otherwise moving things around if you can) and only ambient or low lighting for 2-3 days, helps, in either case.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 10.0%
Back