Tank Maintenance/ siphoning substrate

Dkcav59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else have trouble siphoning waste, mostly fecal matter, off their substrate. I have the Pink Fiji sand and it's quite unsightly! I'm using a manual siphon with the bulb on the end...IT SUX!! NOT!! I have a 55 and currently just have 4 Oscillarous clowns, a Coral Beauty Angel, 2 turbo snails and astraea snails. Also a teeny Emerald Crab. Eventually I will have corals. My tank is 10 weeks old.
Would cerith snails help better with keeping the sand clean? I really do not like the poop on the sand. But, I know that comes with keeping an aquarium. Any suggestions?

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got a tiger conch, I also have about 30 Nassarius snails they go into the sand bed.

Both of these are great options. I’ve heard “1 nessarius per gallon” suggested but that assumes a mature tank with lots of fish poop and uneaten food for them :) Verify that with a more reliable source than me lol

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I suggest ReefCleaners.org if you're looking for extra Clean Up Crew (CUC) members. They are fairly inexpensive, ship *most* critters by USPS Priority Mail vs. overnight, and offer really good service:

https://www.reefcleaners.org/

After that, I can't help, lol! I sometimes see pictures of beautiful, fully mature tanks with pristine sand beds, and I just scratch my head.......

OP
OP
Dkcav59

Dkcav59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I suggest ReefCleaners.org if you're looking for extra Clean Up Crew (CUC) members. They are fairly inexpensive, ship *most* critters by USPS Priority Mail vs. overnight, and offer really good service:

https://www.reefcleaners.org/

After that, I can't help, lol! I sometimes see pictures of beautiful, fully mature tanks with pristine sand beds, and I just scratch my head.......
Right!! Those pristine white sand beds just amaze and eludes me!!

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 24 24.2%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 37 37.4%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 26 26.3%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back