Tell a beginner about sumps:

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t even affect my numbers
Thanks for your help, that was the final question! Again, I don't want to take over the OP's thread, but my biggest question for you is do you have sand in your sump, or just the rock? Looks like you have more of a "contained algae area" vs. a dedicated algae scrubber (which is fine with me!) And, I HATE filter socks lol! I was going to run filter cups and some PolyFil, but I know many reefers run no mechanical at all. I'm really liking this methodology. I had been thinking about a big ball of chaeto under a controlled Kessil a80 Tuna Sun that I already have. Definitely some rock, and debating on doing sand and then having sand sifting clean up critters in the sump.... I'd really appreciate your feedback, but I'll start my own thread ;-)

Thank you, I always appreciate your help!

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps are cool!
20240216_112525.jpg
lol the actual horticultural grow light above the fuge might be overkill but i love this setup

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GOOD LUCK! God go with you...
I don't know what specific Mantid that posters is dealing with, but I have kept as a pet a Florida N. wennerae mantis. They can be trapped and even tricked into a net. And if that poster does trap it and it's an N. wennerare, I'd pay shipping and give that critter a good home ;-)

Fenral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what specific Mantid that posters is dealing with, but I have kept as a pet a Florida N. wennerae mantis. They can be trapped and even tricked into a net. And if that poster does trap it and it's an N. wennerare, I'd pay shipping and give that critter a good home ;-)
Yes, some people keep them as pets... I am personally having nightmare flashbacks to the old days of real live rock and the carnage they caused me ;)

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for your help! Again, I don't want to take over the OP's thread, but my biggest question for you is do you have sand in your sump, or just the rock? And, I HATE filter socks lol! I was going to run filter cups and some PolyFil, but I know many reefers run no mechanical at all. I'm really liking this methodology.

Thank you, I always appreciate your help!
My middle section has sand…3” deep + rock. The other sump sections have rock but no sand

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tinnerito As others have already mentioned, a canister filter (or a hang on back!) will absolutely work, no question. But it sounds to me like you've already made a decision to try a sump, and I encourage you to do so with good reason, as others have already commented on.

A sump can be almost as simple or complex as you'd like to imagine it, so there's lots of options from DIY to custom made. In the past, I have done DIY sumps using standard tanks and glass baffles I'd cut or have cut and silicon them into the tank. More recently, I purchased, but decided I don't want to use, a FijiCube 20" sump. I love it, it's bright, shiny acrylic and oh so "fancy" with its probe holders and such, but at the end of the day all the compartments are very small, in my opinion. I'm looking to sell it lol!

For my next build, I think I've decided that I like using standard tanks like a 40 breeder, and using a DIY acrylic sump baffle kit. If you don't mind a little DIY (and I'd be happy to try to help you), compared to the FijiCube and others, I think this sump baffle kit is the best one going. I had of their 20L kits, and I'm going to order a 40B kit for my next build, which would likely be a good size for your 60 gallon tank:

And if you're not going to drill your tank for an overflow, make sure to get a well reviewed HOB overflow, some of those can be a real problem. Best practice, I believe, is to drill (which is easier than you may be thinking) and go with the three drain hole "Bean Animal" style overflow.

Good luck!

Great looking setups! But are you guys not worried about having THAT MUCH rock packed into your sumps? In my experience, those kind of setups tend to collect detritus, but obviously you guys are not having a problem?

I'm currently just starting a 150 build, I'm going with a DIY 40B sump, and I very much want to embrace the large 'fuge methodology. I have so many questions lol! I don't mean to post over the OP's posts, but I'd love to know more about how you setup your sumps.

LOL! I have absolutely done this! I have gone in and out of saltwater over the years, so I have run systems with sumps as freshwater, and I have to say, I like it, lol! For all the reasons we like our saltwater sumps. I think the complexity involved with setting up and running a sump just doesn't appeal to a "typical" freshwater keeper, but I'm not sure why more advanced freshwater aquarists didn't get into sumps.
I greatly appreciate the help!

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I greatly appreciate the help!
I forget if it’s been mentioned or not in these 3 pages but a sump also increases your water volume and more water = more dilution for ammonia or nitrates or anything really. And the more those things are diluted the less impact they have on the overall system. This in a way leads to more stability.

I have a 75g reef and my sump adds 15-20 gallons of water to my overall system.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, those kind of setups tend to collect detritus, but obviously you guys are not having a problem?
The deeper the more room for critters. The sump I posted an image of has only been running since March but all of the rock came from an 8yo system. When I broke down the old tank I scooped the nastiness out of the sump and added it to the new one.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back