Po4 .03
Nitrate 3

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated your testing regime will alter as time goes by…
With some tolerance from the mods/audience I’ll semi ramble here:

I’d get slightly paranoid about alkalinity at first anyway, personally I test daily via Neptune Trident but don’t even fully trust that and oft re verify with the two hanna DkH testers I own

I test phosphates as needed, it’s a acquired taste and hard to nail down but basically I go by the glass algae, not scientific but I can even usually tell if a snail died or if I over fed just by the dusting on the glass

Just for a baseline I’d test alk 3x/week, phosphate 1x/ week and mg & ca 1x/mo…other opinions and frequencies are probably equally valid

nitrates on occasion/as needed …this is algae based and by eyeball … I got no good input here as I’m not 100% certain any value under 20ppm matters …not versed on the whole phosphate/nitrate ratio either…I defer

Copper: Anymore I just ICP for FE, and other metals

I never have tested for ammonia or nitrites past initial cycle

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything apart from the calcium because my maxima is settled now after a month of moving around and it’ll probably start sucking it out
In a week it’s dropped 55ppm so this time next week I expect it to go to 500 ish

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays results for icp comparison

Temp 25.5
Salinity 1.026
Orp 192
Ph 8.1
Calcium 545
Mag 1410
Nitrate 4-10 ( ran out of regent but constant )
phos 0.08
Kh 7.7

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed something was off and kh was 7 so I’m dripping it back up to 7.7
May need a doser soon

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit crude yet but if I’m consuming .7 dkh in 2 days the I need about 6g per day of carbonate powder x7 = 42g per week , ato tank empties in 9 days so 54g per tank

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still considered in the early stages for all my tanks. Less than 6 months. I found the longer the tank is established. The more forgiving I can miss testing or eyeball what likely needs to be tested.

Every day: Salinity and PH because it takes 30 seconds.
Every 3 days: Calcium and magnesium and alk. The most crucial to me.
Every Sunday: Nitrates and phosphate

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems reasonable schedule, my tanks holds 525 ltr so salinity does change for months only a bit emptying skimmate
Ph, well I wouldn’t know how to adjust this anyway so rarely test it even though I have a probe
I have nitrates and phosphate under control by means of vodka and caluerpa growing and a phosphate reactor if it creeps up
Calc , mag is barely shifting because I don’t have enough light for anything that uses it so no growth- no use and kh a small amount that I’m monitoring

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still considered in the early stages for all my tanks. Less than 6 months. I found the longer the tank is established. The more forgiving I can miss testing or eyeball what likely needs to be tested.

Every day: Salinity and PH because it takes 30 seconds.
Every 3 days: Calcium and magnesium and alk. The most crucial to me.
Every Sunday: Nitrates and phosphate
How are you controlling your water? Changes?

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you controlling your water? Changes?
I've only done 2 wc's now out of my 4 tanks. I was dealing with high nitrates and mechanical filtration was not cutting it. Between fighting GHA and my purple pincushion dropping needles. I had to make quick adjustments. Its a IM 15 gallon tank. I've got a protein skimmer on it and since then haven't had any issues. The only thing I do now is dose Kalkwasser and magnesium.

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how you keeping nitrates and phosphate low or are they not hense the gha?
Nitrates and phos are released from food. The more you feed the more it breaks down. To control this either better filtration, refugium or wc is required. If you want less then cutback on feedings or add onto your filtration method. Which I cut back on feedings and added a skimmer. But for rapid removal of nitrates I do wc's.

GHA was caused by high nitrates. Unless you completely remove it. Eventually if nitrates spike again. It will come back with vengeance as it did for me lol.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tanks 6 month old and you’ve done 2 water changes and adding a skimmer has kept your nitrate and phosphate at low levels? Am I reading this right?

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tanks 6 month old and you’ve done 2 water changes and adding a skimmer has kept your nitrate and phosphate at low levels? Am I reading this right?
Its close to 5 months. But yea 2 water changes since it started. Mechanical filtration plus a protein skimmer. I've dosed only kalkwasser and general purpose magnesium. soft/LPS only tank. Snails, hermit crabs, urchin and a firefish.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 61 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 46 21.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back