The Reef-A-Palooza tank goes to middle school

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a week it’s been. So I spent last Saturday at Reef-A-Palooza at Caribe Royal here in Orlando. I spent the day with great friends. I bought a new green splatter Bubble Coral as an early birthday present to myself. But the best part was so unexpected. I met this awesome guy, Sam, who owns Wet Work Inc. A premier custom aquarium company based out of Louisiana. So anyway. Sam bought a whole mess of raffle tickets and dumped them all into the raffle bucket for the 75 gallon reef ready tank package. He told us if he wins he would give it away to a young kid at the show just starting out. David from CoralVue then told him I’m a teacher and Sam thought that would be even better and have an impact on more children. So if he won, he decided I’d get the tank. I was super grateful that someone would be so generous in their planning for the what if scenario of winning the tank.

Well, he won, and I have a gorgeous 75 gallon reef ready tank, stand and canopy ensemble to bring with me to my new school next year. Next year I will be teaching 6th grade science at Canoe Creek K8, our districts environmental STEM school. I’m currently at another elementary school in our district and an opportunity came up to go to the STEM school and I jumped at the chance. The kids are going to love the tank and it’s going to look spectacular in the front office where everyone can enjoy and learn from it. I’m still dumbfounded. I had to run back to the resort early Sunday morning with my wife’s van to meet up with an awesome dude, Phil, who works for Reef-A-Palooza. He and another gentleman helped me load up the tank so it can get to its new home.

The tank is a Marineland 75-gallon Corner Flo tank with the Monterey stand and canopy. The stand and canopy are gorgeous solid wood. I looked up the prices of it all. Just the stand and canopy is $1,100. About $1,500 total. I’m still blown away. The tank also came with a bucket of salt and a freshwater light. When I got the tank home (I will bring it to my new school over the summer) I found a business card on the bottom of the tank from Proaquatix with a hand written message on the back that they will donate fish. I reached out to them and they told me they were excited to get us fish. “We will send you a good size and diverse assortment of compatible fish, all 100% captive bred and raised on our farm in Vero.” We are so grateful for their generous support of our endeavor.

I also reached out to CaribSea who helped me a few years ago with the nano tank in the classroom. I knew it was a big ask but they jumped on it. Betsey at CaribSea is amazing. On Wednesday afternoon I came home to 120lbs of Fiji Pink sand and 80lbs of LifeRock, 40lbs of shapes and 40lbs original.

I also wrote a letter to the local distributorship of Spears and they told me to get them a list of what I need for plumbing. I have a few letters out to companies for a sump, skimmer, and pumps. I am determined to make this happen. Canoe Creek already has an agricultural program and next year they will have beehives and will be producing honey. My goal is to make this take self-sustainable by having the kids grow and frag corals to fundraise under the banner “Canoe Creek Corals.”

I love this hobby and the people in the community. I will update this thread as often as I have new info to share.

0BAD3DC9-E1A5-4B75-88EF-991EC29BAC47.jpeg
F4A3CB14-6D72-43BE-B833-230C04A10375.jpeg
F0C92E72-71C1-4D88-BD7F-60B4219F66FE.jpeg
990FB7AD-5BB5-4D18-B70E-299F904838D9.jpeg
0762E5BB-CFD4-422A-8BC1-56D6F772B154.jpeg

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to figure out the plumbing and sump. Unless a sump happens to drop into our laps I think a 40 gallon breeder will be our best bet. Not sure how to do the plumbing. The tank has one drain and one return, both plumbed into the overflow. I want to plumb the tank so I can add other equipment down the road, like a UV sterilizer, if needed. I guess we will need a gate valve on the drain, check valve and a ball valve on the return and a ton of unions. What else do we need?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to figure out the plumbing and sump. Unless a sump happens to drop into our laps I think a 40 gallon breeder will be our best bet. Not sure how to do the plumbing. The tank has one drain and one return, both plumbed into the overflow. I want to plumb the tank so I can add other equipment down the road, like a UV sterilizer, if needed. I guess we will need a gate valve on the drain, check valve and a ball valve on the return and a ton of unions. What else do we need?
Sounds like you still need a reef light, a skimmer, a heater, a return pump, some powerheads. Maybe some live rock to seed things. I'm thinking Tampa Bay or KP aquatics. Test kits.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you still need a reef light, a skimmer, a heater, a return pump, some powerheads. Maybe some live rock to seed things. I'm thinking Tampa Bay or KP aquatics. Test kits.
Lights and pumps are in the works. Will post when I have confirmation. I will seed the tank with TurboStart and use the Maxspect Bio Spheres from my home tank.

Salt Daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in tears. This is the kind of good in the world I love to see. It means so much to me that the reefing community is doing this. Children are our future and it is incredibly important to help them in understanding the environment and our oceans. I can only hope that my children's school would be so lucky as to have this happen. PLEASE let me know when “Canoe Creek Corals" starts fragging.

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So upon inspecting the tank we found several dime size voids in the silicone. I sent photos off to Spectrum Brands and they got back to me this morning “Yes we recommend for you not to use the tank. Thank you.” There was also no mention of a replacement. I’m a little upset that they would offer up a prize at RAP without looking it over first. Hopefully they are willing to replace it. Does anyone here have a contact at Spectrum Brands that can help facilitate this. The worst part is everyone is excited at the school.

F4619F59-96A6-4072-B622-7CCE6639481D.jpeg
D3A81F87-6FA2-46E6-B5C8-1154965509B2.jpeg
11D905B8-B80B-4758-B660-93DBEFF7CAFD.jpeg

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The adventure continues. Spectrum won’t just replace the tank. I have to get in contact with “the rep that was on the business card.” What rep that is, I have no clue. I’ve called @WWC and left a message for the person that deals with the RAP vendors. Hopefully they can get the tank replaced for me as soon as possible.

School is out in 15 days and then I was going to move the tank over to the middle school to begin setting it up.

B88036AB-97AA-4077-B185-E361C79426DD.png
5BB1AAF0-6A59-4E59-B7DD-9C14A8E28DE2.png

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a day. I felt like I was on the phone all day. @WWC came through with the contact information for the Spectrum Brands rep. I spoke to him this evening. He just has to work on the best procedure to get us a new tank. We will see what happens. The school will get its tank. I am determined.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang! Now for me thats a shame tbh.
It cant be the solution to just fill up the holes with black silicone - WOW! What a farce...
Thats sucks and I feel ya.

muffinmanXL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy smokes, how absurd. I will never shop WWC or Marineland. There’s far too many upstanding vendors and products to support companies that don’t stand behind their products/service.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we are back in business. A thread on here and a few harsh Instagram posts and stories and Spectrum is replacing the tank with a 90 gallon. They are shipping it to WWC so I can pick it up. It should be here next Wednesday. I’m pretty sure WWC did something to fix this. I know they saw my last story on IG thanking anyone involved for fixing the situation and sent me a thumbs up.

So on with the show. CoralVue has generously offered us an IceCap 30” sump which is fantastic. The skimmer space is huge and the integrated 5 gallon ato reservoir is a plus. They are also giving us an IceCap algae scrubber. My parents bought us an RODI setup and my mother in-law offered us a skimmer. Probably going with the Reef Octopus eSsence S-130. Two Little Fishies is sponsoring the salt so we’ll be able to run the tank on AccuraSea1. Working with Sicce on pumps. Nothing definitive yet.

Kessil hooked us up with lights. We have 2 a360x pucks and spectral controller on the way. So we are moving right along. These lights will be easy to mounted in the canopy. Later on if we need supplemental lighting I’ll be able to add bars later on.

Next is to work on plumbing. Instead of running the tank as designed with a Durso overflow, we will run a Herbie. The smaller diameter return will be the primary and the larger diameter drain will be the emergency. I will then run the return over the back.

More posts to come as things arrive.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back