The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can't get a picture but question: my transitioning leucoxanthus has nice colors in his face and cheeks - greens, pinks, and reds - but on top of his head he has a diamond shape that's checkerboard patterned. Anyone ever see something similar before?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get a picture but question: my transitioning leucoxanthus has nice colors in his face and cheeks - greens, pinks, and reds - but on top of his head he has a diamond shape that's checkerboard patterned. Anyone ever see something similar before?
Haven’t seen it in mine but she is young

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all
My Macropharyngodon meleagris leopard wrasse has recently started going through some changes. He’s got these amazing colors now. Bright pinks, teal, and yellows. He’s also getting very large he’s been about the same size for over 2years but now he’s every bit of 4”+. Not much of a photographer but I can’t find any that look similar on line so I had to share.
IMG_2909.jpeg
IMG_2907.jpeg
That’s a transitioning female, always look gorgeous, her colour will go like photos of the males you see.
I love the transition phase as that’s when you get to see the true colour differences and the full array of colours that species has.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who thinks I don’t have enough tanks? I do!
Wrasse Observation is being setup tomorrow.
Then once it’s done with wrasses I’ll probably make it home to a pair or trio of blue stripe pipefish
IMG_3157.jpeg

TheLegendaryBarlowe072

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont wanna take over this thread with the convo, but since there are so many wrase lovers hanging out in one spot, Id like to ask what are the best options of wrase for a 50 gallon peaceful reef safe tank? Ive considered Carpenter’s, McCosker’s, or Royal, but if theres anything out there thats more stunning I wanna know. Ive never kept a wrase but id love too

PM me if you have the best response

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok @Tcook and @i cant think ... This is the best I could get. He really doesn't like having his picture taken.

IMG_20240908_173833550.jpg
IMG_20240908_173823946.jpg
IMG_20240908_173812956.jpg
IMG_20240908_173812183.jpg
IMG_20240908_173808973.jpg
IMG_20240908_173807337.jpg

It's really hard to see but he has this interesting "checkerboard" diamond on his forehead.

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont wanna take over this thread with the convo, but since there are so many wrase lovers hanging out in one spot, Id like to ask what are the best options of wrase for a 50 gallon peaceful reef safe tank? Ive considered Carpenter’s, McCosker’s, or Royal, but if theres anything out there thats more stunning I wanna know. Ive never kept a wrase but id love too

PM me if you have the best response
No need to PM. We love talking wrasse stocking.

For me in a 50 (dimensions?), I would add the following:

1. Blue star leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitis) OR leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris) oR Ornate leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon ornatus)--all very peaceful

2. Radiant wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)--should be peaceful in that tank

3. 2x pink streak wrasses (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)--very peaceful

4. Pintail fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles)

5. Lubbock fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki) OR Exquisite fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus)--more assertive, but potentially just keeping everyone in check

Depending on the dimensions, I would probably skip the flasher wrasses as they are zoomier and do better in longer tanks. If you are really feeling adventurous, I'd add a pencil wrasse, e.g., Royal pencil wrasse (Pseudojuloides severnsi).

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a Six Line today. No pictures yet cause the little guy was hiding but ill get some up tomorrow. They dont jump to they?

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running out of room in my tank now, only have space for maybe 5-10 more wrasse. Lol

Cael Gallery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight away I’d forget the Anampses lennardi and Pseudojuloides, they will be outcompeted in that tank. Also, Lennardi requires cooler temperatures (75°F maximum long term).

Other than that, I agree with what Slocke has said :)
I've been thinking about this. I did actually buy a lennardi on my trip to WA from (i believe) the main suppliers of the species (guess how much a 10cm lennardi costs here ;) )
Why do you say they need cooler temperatures? Every fish i've heard that about has either been a deep water or subtropical/temperate species. A.lennardi are neither. They're found in a completely tropical part of WA, and are shallow water (google says 0-24metres). They really don't seem to fit the bill for 'cooler water'. And on top of that, i haven't heard that before from any supplier in Australia where they are quite commonly kept. I did decide to forgo the bird wrasse on my tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about this. I did actually buy a lennardi on my trip to WA from (i believe) the main suppliers of the species (guess how much a 10cm lennardi costs here ;) )
Why do you say they need cooler temperatures? Every fish i've heard that about has either been a deep water or subtropical/temperate species. A.lennardi are neither. They're found in a completely tropical part of WA, and are shallow water (google says 0-24metres). They really don't seem to fit the bill for 'cooler water'. And on top of that, i haven't heard that before from any supplier in Australia where they are quite commonly kept. I did decide to forgo the bird wrasse on my tank.
It’s a fairly well known thing that lennardi and femininus do best in cooler water, it’s the main reason why main people can’t keep them longterm.
Most reefs are kept at the 79°F region from what I’ve seen, these guys may be tropical but they aren’t 79°F level IME.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 36 76.6%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 8.5%
Back