Theory - Pellet food fuels huge Bubble Algae outbreaks?

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For over a year I had explosive bubble algae issues. The kind where no matter how many crabs or foxfaces you would put in the tank they would never be able to keep up.

Hand removal was useless as it would be back full force in less than 10 days. I made 3 attempts to get rid of it with additives. The first time was with an over dose of reef flux - it came back in a couple weeks even after there was no evidence of any of it left. The second time was with brightwell razor and it also came back from the dead after several weeks. Usually it would come back with a vengeance.

The 3rd time I used brightwell razor but also switched from pellet food to freeze dried mysis with an avast plank feeder. It has been over 2 months now and it is a huge difference from how they used to return in plague proportions to now being a non issues.

My previous tank had bubble algae but it was never a big deal and in that tank I always fed frozen mysis. My current tank I have been feeding pellet food and it has been nothing but problems and never seen mutant bubble algae like that. I don't think it was the razor that did it long term. My anecdotal meter is screaming pellet food is the cause. My po4 sits around .1-.15 and nitrate ~10 but that doesn't seem to matter as it is not spreading like before.

Anyone else correlate pellet or flake food to nuisance bubble algae issues?

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High phosphates and nitrates increase any nuisance algae.

Pellet food and flake food tend to increase this more than frozen food.

So yes it correlates and no because it would feed any nuisance algae that you have

This is correct. Hikari pellets always fuel algae growth for me. Also reef roids.. Both are po4 monsters.

OP
OP
Moe K

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes nutrients (po4/nitrate) are a factor but even though I am matching the same levels with more mysis to the less pellet food I used to feed it appears drastically less problematic in fueling unwanted algae.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not correlate pellets to bubble algae. Just like any other algae, bubble algae is the result of imbalance between nutrient import and export. It will spread fast or slow depending on the nutrients available.

Reefing_addiction

SBB fed the Addiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes nutrients (po4/nitrate) are a factor but even though I am matching the same levels with more mysis to the less pellet food I used to feed it appears drastically less problematic in fueling unwanted algae.
If you see an explosive growth in algae your no3/po4 readings won’t show the excess because the algae consumed it. Frozen food doesn’t add tbe extra no3/po4 that pellet food/flake food does. Reef roids is know to raise po4 faster. I believe it all has to do with the way the food is processed

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back